future questions

• Josh7
  • Josh7's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Josh7 created the topic: future questions

So after college of course and I might buy one now found a sweet deal on a 180 gallon for 400 bucks. But can some one give me an idea of fish I can keep with 2 oscars maybe like a lima shovelnose catfish or clown loaches, possibly silver dollars or maybe a fire eel?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:future questions

If you decide to go with clown loaches buy large ones the oscars will quickly out grow them

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Re:future questions

I would avoid clown loach if I was you. Firstly they come from Asia so don't really belong with Oscars. Secondly and most importantly, they cannot tolerate poor water conditions so keeping them with fish that produce huge bio loads is probably not the best idea in the world. Of course it's not difficult to maintain water quality if you have the right setup, but if you do get any kind of problems the water quality will go down very quickly if you're keeping Oscars.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Thank you received: 60

MetalHead88 replied the topic: Re:future questions

yeah its gonna be hard for you to keep clown loaches with oscars unless you buy them at 6+ inches minimum. a school of larger clown loaches (they should be kept in schools) WILL break the bank.

as for the shovel nose - remember that these things get huge. they dont get as big as tiger shovel noses.... but they will still double the length of your oscars.

a large school of silver dollars would be awesome. they would bring a lot of movement to the tank, clean up after your messy oscars - and the best part is that no one gets hurt :)

you could always do more cichlids. how many would really depend on how big the adult size of the fish is. firemouths, severums, chocolate, geos, convict (not a pair) are always good options. and the list goes on.

ive got plans to go with 2 oscars and a chocolate once i move and setup a new tank.

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Re:future questions

If you're going with 2 oscars I'd definitely vote for a school of SDs. They're fast enough to not get eaten (and their body shape helps too), and they're a great little clean-up crew (they eat oscar poop, basically). They're also a lot of fun to keep and quite interactive for community fish if you get a reasonably large school (6+) so they feel secure.

Oh, the other thing I forgot to mention is that SDs are great to have in a tank if you have a more timid cichlid. They really helped my sev to come out of her shell and start acting more confident/interactive, while when she was in a tank on her own she hid 90% of the time. Seeing schooling fish happily swimming around makes them feel safer, I guess.

• Josh7
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Josh7 replied the topic: future questions

Hmm maybe something like this then like the 2 oscars, 6,silver dollars and i,want,some type of latge bottom,feeders any,ideas there?

• Thank you received: 187

DMD123 replied the topic: future questions

Lots of really cool looking plecos out there and catfish but for me the problem is a lot of them just hide and you never see them. I have a rhino pleco that is pretty active and outgoing but my favorite catfish is my hoplo cat. Not super impressive of a color being brown but the activity level is just awesome. Basically an overgrown cory cat that gets about 5-6". I kind of wish I did a small group of these. It is always out and about and you see it.

I also have my 'oddball' bottom feeders, a delhezi and weeksii bichir. These are just so weird looking that people who see my tanks always comment on them and ask a ton of questions. While not typical 'South American' tankmates, they are pretty cool looking and different from your normal everyday fish.

• Thank you received: 60

MetalHead88 replied the topic: future questions

raphael catfish

• Josh7
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Josh7 replied the topic: future questions

I really want a fish in the 10 to 12 inch,range thats an active fish do any bottom feeders meet that criteria.

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: future questions

The raphael cats like MH88 mentioned are supposed to have lots of personality and can grow pretty large (up to almost a foot). I have kept a school of pictus cats with cichlids before that are super active and fun to watch, if very silver. My pictus grew to about 8 inches and they like to be in schools of at least 3 or 4, so would make an active addition to a large tank. Most sites seem to rate them only up to 5 inches, but mine were definitely larger than that. My common pleco is nearing a foot long and is about 3 years old. He is pretty active in whatever tank I put him in. He either likes digging up sand with his tail or eating zucchini that I suction to the wall of his tank, though he does do his share of driftwood sulking too. If you treat them like the special fish they are and not just as an add-on to clean up after other fish, then you will have happy campers. Just keep in mind that large cats add a lot to the bio-load of your tank.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.142 seconds