Buenos Aires tetra question

• daddadoo7
  • daddadoo7's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 created the topic: Buenos Aires tetra question

Guys I have had them in qt for a couple of weeks and was planning on adding them to the 150 once they gain a little size. I know the chances of it working are slim but oh well. My question is will it matter if I grow them if they are gonna be a cap on snack will it matter if they are at their current size or should I grow them ?
If it doesnt matter I will quarantine for another few weeks
Quick vid just to give u a size perspective

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 187

DMD123 replied the topic: Buenos Aires tetra question

Capone snack for sure. The tetras will not grow at a rate fast enough to keep up with Capone. You wont be able to grow them out quick enough. I introduced my O with large Australian rainbows that were already quite large and he has showed zero interest in them which may change as he gets bigger but maybe not. I like using the BA tetra with larger cichlids but that darting/dashing movement at that size will likely just trigger a feeding response in Capone. Could try to add them after the lights go out and its dark but come morning when Capone can see, likely a meal. I feel like they need to be full grown BA tetras at this point.

• daddadoo7
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:Buenos Aires tetra question

David how long do you think it will take to get them full grown I could always throw them in the 55 which will actually be a 75/90 gal

Been a while since Ive had them. Seemed like the growth rate was about average, nothing like the rate my SD's grew at. You could power feed them with frozen foods to bulk them up. If they are not too expensive you could add some of the largest at night and see what happens... (nom nom nom, lol)

I kept mine with a pretty good sized midas who had grow up with little fish all his life so he really did not see them as food. Once a fish sees tankmates as food its hard to have little fish like that in there. Part of me thinks If you added a really big school all at once, he may not care but then knowing the oscar's mentality, he would just see it as a huge feast.

What about trying some tall bodied tetras, like bleeding hearts or black skirts? Black skirt tetras can usually be found at some pretty big sizes at places like Petsmart for pretty cheap. Once you can establish a small group then add the more streamlined ones (BA) and see if they mix in and the larger fish just dont care.

• daddadoo7
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

There are 12 ba's maybe I could try and sneak them in dunno.... I have a feeling it may not matter if I grow them ....but then again he doesnt bother the little hrp. I dont know

It really like it when you can put together a bio type that includes a mix of the large fish and small fish. I have seen a few cool videos/pics of Jack Dempsey in the wild with all kinds of livebearers around them, usually found in Cenotes. This was what I was originally trying to do in the 72g bow with the Red Isletas and platy. The Australian rainbows were just dither fish but they have lived through some tough tankmates so they are still in there. If I had a slightly larger tank I would probably try what you are thinking of, likely with the same type of BA tetra.

• Thank you received: 203

Big-Ken replied the topic: Re:Buenos Aires tetra question

You never know, my last oscar i had was kept alone in a 55g and i decided to throw some of my dime size angelfish culls in there for him to eat and he never even chased them. I had to remove them 2 weeks later and cull them myself

• daddadoo7
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

There are also 4 rainbows in with the tetras I tried to add them as a test.... only 3 made it out and are back in the qt. Capone went nuts... but I didnt try after lights out so maybe ?

• Thank you received: 203

Big-Ken replied the topic: Re:Buenos Aires tetra question

Lol ya this is prolly not going to go well regardless of how long you wait

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds