Wild caught sevrum

• Poseidon2.0
  • Poseidon2.0's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 created the topic: Wild caught sevrum

So we have been moving the last little while and went to a home depot in south Philly to pick up a few things. Hadn't intended to stop at the Monster Pets near by there, but did so anyway to get live crickets for my O. They had a tank of baby wild caught sevrums! I have been contemplating getting a sevrum to go in the 125 with my O, but still hadn't decided. So this did it for me (also because my son was strongly encouraging me). For now he will go in the 75 gallon until he gets a little larger and it can also serve as a quarantine tank. I am afraid he could make a meal for Poseidon if he goes in too soon, but kind of excited to see this one grow up. He is only about 1.5-2 inches at the moment. Will post a picture of him when he is settled.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Poseidon2.0
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Wild caught sevrum

Well he is off to a good start. After a drip acclimatization for a few hours into a bucket, he is off and running swimming. As seems to be the case with other wild caught species, he seems pretty aggressive and not afraid of me at all. More like, "ok, I am here, where is my food?!" He has been oscilating from yellow to copper hued and hs some interesting patterns. Was the prettiest, largest, and one of the more aggressive fish in his tank (about 8-10 sevs total). He is currently exploring the tank. Not sure how the 5 harlequin rasporas will fair with him. Pretty happy with this guy so far.

My son has named him Legolas, as he pretty much wants to connect most things to the Hobbit or Lord of the Rings. Will see if it will stick. Not the name I would have given. Not camera shy at all!

I measured him and he is 2 inches or 2.5 with a tail, so slightly larger than I estimated.

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:Wild caught sevrum

Nice. Great to see it's settled in. Look forward to seeing him grow up. Rocksor has good advice on treating wild caught fish before adding them to general population. They can carry stuff that farm and tank raised don't do well against. I followed it for my oscar when I got him.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: Re:Wild caught sevrum

I remeber a post on treating wild caught fish a while back and had wanted to find that not long ago. Do you have the link or remember the topic?

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:Wild caught sevrum

Here's the link to the thread I started, which Rocksor gave great advice about the treatment.
www.oscarfishlover.com/forum/18-photographs-a-videos/302199-wild-caught-oscar?limitstart=0

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Poseidon2.0

• Poseidon2.0
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Re:Wild caught sevrum

Well I checked in with the manager of MonsterPets via email about the provenance of the "wild severum". I was curious since Penn asked in your wild oscar thread if you were certain it was wild caught. The manager wrote back and said it was a gold severum captive bred in Florida! :pinch: I asked why would they advertise "wild severum" if it was in fact "captive" bred. He replied that that is a good question and is now investigating. . . . .

Last time I will impulse buy on a large cichlid! :whistle:

May take this one back, though of course jr. has already bonded and named the fish. We will see. Perhaps by some miracle the store made a one off shipment of wild caught that this manager didn't know about. :S

Feeling a bit disappointed. . . . .

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Re:Wild caught sevrum

The main issue I have with what the manager wrote back is that your severum, from those pics, is clearly not a juvenile gold severum :laugh: Yours is a green juvie I think, though the looks of the bit of red it has behind its eye it might be juvie Rotkiel.

I'm thinking wires have definitely gotten crossed somewhere with that LFS.

• Poseidon2.0
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Lammergeier wrote: The main issue I have with what the manager wrote back is that your severum, from those pics, is clearly not a juvenile gold severum :laugh:

So I'm thinking wires have gotten crossed somewhere with that LFS.

Thanks for saying that as I didn't think it looked like a gold sev either, but wasn't sure whether they start out different as babies or something. Have never kept them before.

Perhaps I will send one of the photos to the manager.

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Re:Wild caught sevrum

Juvie gold severums are... well, yellow. They get the red speckling a bit when they get older but they won't show any black barring or greenish hues at all.

Anyway, unless you paid extra for 'wild caught' I'd vote to keep the little guy even if he was captive bred. Sevs are awesome, and he sounds pretty outgoing for a baby. Baby sevs can often be really skittish from what I've heard, and even my sev (Adie) was skittish as anything until she was put in the big tank and had the SDs as dithers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Poseidon2.0

• Poseidon2.0
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

I will likely keep him as you have assured me that it is not a "gold severum" which I don't particularly like. I have no idea what the "wild" charge is suppose to be. This one was only 15 bucks, so likely a captive bred.

Is there any special size-to-oscar ratio that sevs should adhere to be for being put with an oscar? I am thinking, "doesn't-fit-in-the-mouth size", but probably 2 inches is a bit small for to go with a 6.5 inch oscar and a 10 inch pleco. Hopefully he will grow out pretty quick by himself in the 75.

ETA: I should add that I plan to keep him quarantined for a while, in any case, especially if he in fact turns out to be, wild caught.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds