Wild caught sevrum

• Poseidon2.0
  • Poseidon2.0's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Re:Wild caught sevrum

Lammergeier wrote: Yours is a green juvie I think, though the looks of the bit of red it has behind its eye it might be juvie Rotkiel.

I missed this part you added. Yes, hard to tell as he is showing a lot of trace colors of gold, orange, and green in different parts of his body. Probably a Green, but would be great if he is a Rotkiel as I really like those ones. Sent picture to manager, but guess he is still "investigating".

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 163

tehmole replied the topic: Re:Wild caught sevrum

Yes looks like a green. Red neck or rotkiel at that size will show some blue and red by the gills. But non the less it's a nice serv. Keep in mind they grow pretty slow. I would say if it can't fit in poesidons mouth will work. Add hiding space.

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:Wild caught sevrum

Was it labeled as wild caught or wild type? Wild type meaning it is close to what you would actually find in the wild, but is captive bred. Wild caught meaning it was caught with a net in its native waters.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

• Poseidon2.0
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

It said "Wild Severum" and when I asked the sales guy on the floor he said he thought it meant wild caught. They could have been a lot clearer regarding terminology, to be sure. I impulse bought, though, and this is the result. Not the worst thing in the world though. He is a pretty cute little guy either way.

• Poseidon2.0
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

tehmole wrote: Yes looks like a green. Red neck or rotkiel at that size will show some blue and red by the gills. But non the less it's a nice serv. Keep in mind they grow pretty slow. I would say if it can't fit in poesidons mouth will work. Add hiding space.

Thanks. Never owned a Sev before, but am enjoying him immensely so far. I will probably introduce him to the 125 right after his quarantine period, but will add a few small caves in addition to the labyrinth of driftwood that is already in the tank.

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:Wild caught sevrum

I would still treat him as if he were wild caught I learned the hard way about not quarantining. You could use prazipro, general cure or maybe parasite guard and also maybe feed with epsom soaked pellets. All of my new fish get treated with epsom salt soaked pellets and either ine of the meds I mentioned...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Poseidon2.0

• Poseidon2.0
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

So the report is in and my Sev is indeed wild caught! :cheer: The General Manager of MonsterPets wrote back and had this to say:

"Yes, you are correct. Your fish is a Wild Green Severum. I do 98% of the ordering for all three Monster Pets stores; and I knew I never ordered Green Severum's, so I assumed your Severum was a Gold, and I know I only order from the farms in Florida. The Manager of the South Philly store has a relationship with our local distributor in Northern Liberties. That distributor ordered a shipment direct from South America and Chris ordered your Severum's from him. This is why I was unaware of the Wild Severums. Nonetheless, we have not treated him for any parasites. I am glad you are taking the precaution of isolating him before introducing him to your main tank. I hope he continues to do well. Let us know if you have any further questions."

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Re:Wild caught sevrum

Hey, that's great news! :woohoo:

Definitely treat for parasites though as he is wild caught. It'll be really interesting to see what he turns out like - can't get wild caught severums here.

• Thank you received: 171

robham7770 replied the topic: Wild caught sevrum

Very cool, an F0 sev on the site, and I would say you stole him. Very nice pick up, hope to see lots of him.

• Poseidon2.0
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

daddadoo7 wrote: I would still treat him as if he were wild caught I learned the hard way about not quarantining. You could use prazipro, general cure or maybe parasite guard and also maybe feed with epsom soaked pellets. All of my new fish get treated with epsom salt soaked pellets and either ine of the meds I mentioned...

Is this the same as epsom salt (Seachem Reef Advantage Magnesium)? It is a bit cheaper than other stuff I am finding online listed as official "epsom salt" and would get to me in 2 days. Will also get the Prazipro too.

www.amazon.com/Seachem-Reef-Advantage-Magnesium-600gram/dp/B...ies&ie=UTF8&qid=1413235802&sr=1-2&keywords=Magnesium+sulfate

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds