Wild caught sevrum

• Poseidon2.0
  • Poseidon2.0's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Re:Wild caught sevrum

jmunroe wrote: Here's the link to the thread I started, which Rocksor gave great advice about the treatment.
www.oscarfishlover.com/forum/18-photographs-a-videos/302199-wild-caught-oscar?limitstart=0

Jmunroe, tried to send you a PM, but kept getting told the message box was empty! :pinch:

Not sure if came through, but won't send another lest I clutter your inbox.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Poseidon2.0
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

In case anyone is interested, here are couple of videos of Severum Snape (name my wife gave him yesterday). His name changes daily, so we will see what sticks.

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:Wild caught sevrum

Poseidon2.0 wrote:

jmunroe wrote: Here's the link to the thread I started, which Rocksor gave great advice about the treatment.
www.oscarfishlover.com/forum/18-photographs-a-videos/302199-wild-caught-oscar?limitstart=0

Jmunroe, tried to send you a PM, but kept getting told the message box was empty! :pinch:

Not sure if came through, but won't send another lest I clutter your inbox.

I did not receive any. I sent you one, see if your able to respond.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

• Poseidon2.0
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Hmmm. Weird. I received your PM, but I still can't send a message to you. Not sure why. Haven't had any issues before.

In any case, I just wanted to see if you know what Rocksor is referring to with the "gram negative and gram positive bacteria medication". I don't know what that is and when I tried to look it up, I didn't come up with much that was clearly for fish. The other stuff he refers to is clear enough.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Re:Wild caught sevrum

I dont see maracyn 1 or maracyn 2 any more so I would use the following, but do not dose at the same time.

erythromycin for gram positive bacter (will kill you aerobic bacteria colony) . There is also tetracycline and oxytetracycline against gram positive bacteria, read link below for more effective uses.

seachem kanaplex for gram negative (you can dose with api general cure or seachem metro), triple sulfa is another gram negative bacteria medication, and neither will kill your established bacteria colony. These are best used for ph above 7.5.

for ph below 7.5, and to treat gram negative bacteria, use Furan-2 or Jungle Fungus Guard (walmart)

list of medication

www.americanaquariumproducts.com/aquariummedication2.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: Poseidon2.0

• Poseidon2.0
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Thanks for that. I currently have a bottle of Kordon "Rid Fungus" and and API Melafix Cichlid formula. Would either of these work? If not I will order the things you recommend. I had these bottles kicking around from last year and the expiry is still good.

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:Wild caught sevrum

Rocksor has you covered. Check the ingredients on the rod fungus and melafix is just a herbal remedy I believe. Not sure what's going on with the PM thing. When I did my treatments it was in a smaller quarantine tank and swapped outdone bio media a couple times to keep my filter alive.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Wild caught sevrum

Nice looking little guy....but if you do plan on adding him to the Oscars' tank, caution is advised......territoriality will factor in.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Poseidon2.0
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Wild caught sevrum

Darth Nandopsis wrote: Nice looking little guy....but if you do plan on adding him to the Oscars' tank, caution is advised......territoriality will factor in.

Yes, my thought had been to try to eventually introduce him into the oscar tank and see how it goes. If it doesn't work, I know wild-caught are more aggressive than others, this might give me an excuse (yeah, that's it) to get another 55 or 75 gal. :whistle:

Might also just leave him where he is and build a tank around him and go the silver dollar route in the 125.

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Wild caught sevrum

For what it's worth regarding my experience with adding a sev to an established oscar's tank, it CAN work, but it really depends on the personalities of the fish. When I first introduced her to the big tank Henry went nuts, but as soon as she stood her ground the tables turned, and I actually had some problems with Adie bullying Henry for a while.

People predicted that it'd only be a matter of time till he asserted himself, but that still hasn't happened. Instead he stopped trying to assert dominance altogether, which in turn made Adie calm down a bit. It took a while but these days they just follow each other around all day, and huddle together near the inlet at night. It's very peaceful for an American cichlid tank if you can get it to work.

Adie was around the same size as Henry when I added her, by the way. If she'd been significantly smaller, or if Henry was even a bit more assertive there's no way it would have worked.

How aggressive is Poseidon? Henry is just the pansiest of pansy oscars which helped a lot in my case. Even the smallest SD stands his ground if Henry tries to push him around these days. It's funny (but sad) seeing a 6.5 - 7" O flailing away from a 3" SD.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.082 seconds