Fresh Water Red Tail Barracuda

• jon721
  • jon721's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

jon721 created the topic: Fresh Water Red Tail Barracuda

Hey, guess this is my first post new to the oscar world, im just wondering right now I have a 75 gal with 7 inch red oscar, 5 inch banded leporinus and a 3 inch giraffe cichlid. I also have a 55 gal tank not being used at the moment. My plan was to buy a fresh water red tail barracuda and put it in the tank with the oscar, and put the lep and the small cichlid in the 55. Do you guys think the oscar would be fine in a tank with a barracuda? Ill be ordering the fish from liveaquaria.com and it doesnt state the dimensions but just the size. Im choosing the large over the small. Thanks for your help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Fresh Water Red Tail Barracuda

Red tails are skittish fish and hard to get to eat non-live food. They should not be put with aggressive cichlids like an oscar. Better tank mates include passive cichlids like eartheaters.

In the 75g, it is the minimum for an oscar (in terms of tank foot print). There really is not enough gallons to really add a tank mate to the 75g.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Fresh Water Red Tail Barracuda

As stated, your Oscar should have the 75g to itself. Giraffe cichlid? Do you mean Venustus, the African breed from Lake Malawi? Not a species to be kept with South Americans, each species require different water. Soft acidic for American and harder alkaline for African. You could make a nice African tank with your 55g.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds