New pics of the crew

• daddadoo7
  • daddadoo7's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:New pics of the crew

Thanks guys sounds like a plan. Capone really is an enjoyable fish. My daughter makes me pull a chair up to the tank so she can watch him. She'll point to the tank and repeatedly says cappy lol. He sleeps under the dark drift wood now which only has about 3 inches of space in most areas. He lays completely on his side and wedges himself in. Will try and get a pick.

J im wondering if what you suggested with the divider would have worked with the sd's allowing them more time to adjust ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: New pics of the crew

daddadoo7 wrote:

I love this photo, looks like the three of them are on a mission. I've had my giant danios in w, Poseidon for about a month without any issues. He snaps at them, but there is enough room for them to get away. Will really depend on how determined Capone is to get them. I have thought about keeping denisans too, so will be interested to see have this turns out, though I would personally be more likely to put the SD back in if it were me.

• daddadoo7
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

Thanks Poseidon this makes me regret not going for the 180 instead of the 150. Feel like adding both the denisen barbs and the sd's would be too much

• Thank you received: 187

DMD123 replied the topic: New pics of the crew

UNC-CH wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong ... capone is an astronotus crassipinnis.

There is some debate on the proper classification of the 'Bumblebee' Oscars that is sold by Rapp's. He classifies them as Astronotus orbicularis but some feel that is an outdated name and that they are just a form of crassipinnis.

Hey Frank, they fish are looking good! Yeah there is always that debate when buying a tank as to how big to go. I went from a 65g breeder to a 120g and then my 210g and I still feel like I should have went bigger. I will say the debate about the silver dollars is something I went through and only recently sold them all off. They are very interesting fish when they school but my tank seemed real small with seven red hooks in there and they were skittish. They have been gone for a while now and I couldnt be happier. If I ever added schooling fish again I would likely go with something like Australian rainbows for size. Just not a possibility with my Red Bay Snook in the tank. Very active predator.
The following user(s) said Thank You: UNC-CH

• daddadoo7
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

David thanks for the compliments if it doesnt work with the denisen barbs (probably wont) then I may give the sd's another shot if that doesnt work then im gonna give up on the schooling fish.

Unc-ch
As david pointed out there is some debate but jack once pointed out that the orbics have larger fins and since then I do notice that their fins are larger than the common oscars and crassipriniss as well. Though I have only seen a few pics of crassipriniss on the other hand I've read that the crassipriniss do not get as large as other oscars so we will see. Capones growth has really slowed down. Think orbics but that is only based on the comparison of pics available on the net
The following user(s) said Thank You: UNC-CH

• Thank you received: 187

DMD123 replied the topic: New pics of the crew

To me my bumblebee finally seems like he has put on size. I have added the meaty stuff to his diet and he is starting to really bulk up. I have added nightcrawlers, frozen silversides, frozen krill, freeze dried krill. I keep this type of stuff on hand because of having to feed the puffer. I have been using NLS 4.5mm floating pellets and Dainichi medium floating Color Supreme pellets as his primary foods.

On my local forum in Washington State there is a member who is growing out a crassipriniss that came from The Wet Spot in Portland, OR. His has a more pronounced pattern with much more distinctive banding but like Frank said fins are smaller. We have been talking about expected final size and not sure if it will be a 'smaller' oscar. Seems like its growth rate is pretty typical of a 12-13" size that could be reached vs the 10" max thought of online. Will just have to wait and see.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: New pics of the crew

Fish look great Frank, you have done a great job. And hey, the tank aint leaking! Bonus.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.073 seconds