Oscar Hunting Fun

• TheLilMommaB
  • TheLilMommaB's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10

TheLilMommaB created the topic: Oscar Hunting Fun

I have 2 11-12 inch Oscars in a 130g cycled tank that have never had any live food except the one time my mom thought snails would live long with them :-) anyways I know I'm at a max for the tank and will accept a no if you guys think it would be bad for the Oscars but was wondering if there are any low bioload/healthy inverts like shrimp or crawfish that I could add that would offer some fun for the Oscars to go hunting for and do a little clean up before they're ate? I would add some hidey spots for them to up their chances of keeping out of Oscar mouth though. Just think it would be neat to let the Oscars have a chance to self feed sometimes.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 41

purplecandle replied the topic: Oscar Hunting Fun

In general it's bad practice to co-house food with prey. You lose control of how much and when your fish eats and living within inches of a predator is pretty stressful on the prey.

Next issue is that it's expensive to go buy those things only to have replace them...unless you want to do some breeding.

If you want to provide some fun & exercise for the Oscar and, let's be honest, up the cool factor...the easiest and cheapest foods are earth worms and crickets.

Just my opinion though! I just feel the worms and crickets don't suffer long. I'm such a chick.

Another thing to mention is that while these things may pick up stray uneaten food for your Oscar, they poop out just as much as they clean up...so it's not really a win for you.

• TheLilMommaB
  • TheLilMommaB's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10

TheLilMommaB replied the topic: Oscar Hunting Fun

I might have to try the worms...don't care much for the crickets I'd be afraid they would get loose and drive me nuts with their chirping lol...how often could I feed them live foods along with their pellets without causing them any problems? I don't wanna overfeed them or make them boycott their pellets

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:Oscar Hunting Fun

Shrimp and crayfish will not hit the bottom before they are eaten. Crayfish especially, is a favourite of oscars.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Oscar Hunting Fun

Earthworms and mealworms are great treats. Once a week is plenty, you dont want to get your Oscars snubbing their pellets. You could also offer some chopped raw shrimp and tilapia, good feed to soak in vitamin supplement. My fish all really like fd krill, another good one to get vitamin in.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 41

purplecandle replied the topic: Oscar Hunting Fun

They crickets won't get loose if you have them in the right container, they can't jump vertical. I don't even hear my cricket chirping now.

I just feed something different daily and skip a day. I do thawed raw shrimp (cause it's cheap) one day, worms the next, pellets the next, crickets the next, and so on.

• Thank you received: 18

turtle lover replied the topic: Oscar Hunting Fun

I once tried put a string on the top of the tank with a dead shrimp to make my oscar jump after its prey because I thought that of arowana did it How about oscars?

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds