Bottom feeding fish for Oscar aquarium 150 gallons

• Tony Colton
  • Tony Colton's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Tony Colton created the topic: Bottom feeding fish for Oscar aquarium 150 gallons

Hi all i'm looking for a bottom feeding fish for my oscar tank and not any pleco's. I'm not worried about cleaning out any waste fish poop or even worried about having to clean up after feeding times as such but due to busy working week not having to hoover the tank daily would be an advantage.
Heres the thing I don't really want anything that's "common" or will grow over 15".
I've tried bichirs and the oscars and I loved him but he somehow managed to swim up the outlet pipe of a fx6!! but he sure cleaned up well.
I'm looking for something just as oddball or even more so if possible.

Aquarium is 6x2x2 (150gallon)
2x fx6 filters
sand substrate
very secure lid

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Bottom feeding fish for Oscar aquarium 150 gallons

" I'm not worried about cleaning out any waste fish poop or even worried about having to clean up after feeding times as such but due to busy working week not having to hoover the tank daily would be an advantage."

This statement is unclear to me....do you mean you are looking for a fish that will eat Oscar feces? No catfish I'm aware of will.......the only fish that will eat other fishes droppings to the best of my knowledge are Silver Dollars.

Clown loaches are a good choice for Oscars, as they are fast, will eat excess food, & can defend themselves....but any "bottom feeder" you purchase will need to be provided a diet of their own.

This is also predicated on the current stocking level of this aquarium,& also on the size of your fish.....how many fish currently reside in your tank, & how big are they?

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Tony Colton
  • Tony Colton's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Tony Colton replied the topic: Bottom feeding fish for Oscar aquarium 150 gallons

" I'm not worried about cleaning out any waste fish poop or even worried about having to clean up after feeding times as such but due to busy working week not having to hoover the tank daily would be an advantage."

This means that although i will find time during the working week to do this if i must but if can can avoid having to hoover the leftover fish food as often it would be an advantage but not a deciding factor.

2 fish both oscars at 12+ inches. filtration is almost 7000l (turns tank over 11 times an hour) an hour which helps adjust stock levels for me although even with the stupidly overfilteration in the tank one more fish is its max as it always has been.

I had to remove my clown loach from this tank after the male was swimming with one in his mouth. Whatever fish i go for cannot fit into the oscars mouth.
He liked the bichir but now i have the option i was wondering if their was anything else a little different i could go for.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Bottom feeding fish for Oscar aquarium 150 gallons

"I had to remove my clown loach from this tank after the male was swimming with one in his mouth. Whatever fish i go for cannot fit into the oscars mouth."

That's a given......I should have quantified my statement for clarity......any fish will eat anything it can fit in it's mouth......so, you would need to buy large CL's, which can be a problem due to expense. I was unaware of your Oscars size. Now that we are clear on the size of your fish, & my assumption that they are a pair, adding anything to this tank may be problematic, as obviously you will need to size accordingly, so that they will not be consumed or outright killed.

"This means that although i will find time during the working week to do this if i must but if can can avoid having to hoover the leftover fish food as often it would be an advantage but not a deciding factor."

I am intimately familiar w/ how messy Oscars are, having kept them for decades (I have a juvie Red right now)......if you have leftover fish food, I would suggest you are feeding too much/too often or need to go to a smaller pellet. What is the diet & the feeding schedule/volume each time?

Feel free to submit pics/videos of your aquarium......they are always welcome.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Bottom feeding fish for Oscar aquarium 150 gallons

Oscars of that size do not need to eat everyday. You can feed every other day and have a period in the middle of the work week where they are not fed for 2 days in a row. This will reduce the amount of food at the bottom of your aquarium.

• benmcfadden
  • Loose Lips Sink Ships

benmcfadden replied the topic: Bottom feeding fish for Oscar aquarium 150 gallons

lots of big clown loaches look cool..

Haku, I knew your were good.

• benmcfadden
  • Loose Lips Sink Ships

benmcfadden replied the topic: Bottom feeding fish for Oscar aquarium 150 gallons

• benmcfadden
  • Loose Lips Sink Ships

get a small shoal like this -

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: Bottom feeding fish for Oscar aquarium 150 gallons

loaches are so cool! but I think synodontis cats are cooler lol ! and also super active!

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:Bottom feeding fish for Oscar aquarium 150 gallons

Loaches are cool couldnt deal with the ich on the smaller ones though. I say get a bunch of large loaches or large spotted rapheal cat. I have two small raphs spotted and striped as they grow the spotted is starting to come out more

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds