Vieja argentea

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: Re:Vieja argentea

My buddy had a tank full of args I want to say 6-7 or so large adults also. They were beautiful but did beat each other up a little so fins got nipped and what not so not show fish at all but some of their iridescent can be captivating !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• daddadoo7
  • daddadoo7's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:Vieja argentea

I would like to try it maybe it will work if it is added while small but allot of stuff I read said in some cases the kill switch goes off... I guess we will see. These little guys are pretty cool though no hiding at all

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Re:Vieja argentea

Almost got an argentea a couple of years back, but at the time, my reading up on them showed hatred against other cichlids (even in a 300g) and silver fish like SDs.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Vieja argentea

I have 3 tanks w/ single specimens......RT Mota, Jag, N. Beani.......as they do NOT play well w/ others, & not just cichlids....unfortunately, from what I've read, you will probably wind up w/ a specimen tank, Frank. These guys are STRONG in The Dark Side.... :evil:

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• daddadoo7
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

Yeah I read some pretty crazy stuff last night about them beating up dovii (still find that hard to believe) killing festae and jags. Im happy either way. Also read that females have rounded fins and males more pointed maybe if I have a female it could work ? Would you guys 've able to sex them or are they too small

Anyone really think argentea could really beat up on a grown dovii that seems unrealistic

Sexing is hit and miss until around 4-5" total length. The finnage takes time to develop. I would rely more on coloration.

No real reason to think that any fish cannot beat up a dovii. I've read a black shark aka black labeo beat the crap of out of a same size dovii (18") as well in a tank larger than 300g. Just because the dovii has the teeth, doesn't mean it is hyper aggressive.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish

I've seen video of Beani attacking Dovii.....on YT......both same size, I would state around 6" or so....BUT.....yes, it all depends on the individual fish, & I personally have a fish that is psychotic (N. Beani)....BUT....if it was a male Dovii, & the Dovii got tired of being pestered....my money would be on the Dovii.....they prey in large part on other cichlids in nature....I have also seen a Dovii ripping the jaws off of a Jag.....if a full-grown Argentae, Beani, or any other cichlid locked jaws w/ a full grown male Dovii, all things being equal......Dovii usually wins ......I don't know of any other cichlid that has the jaw strength or dentition that a Dovii has.....a true piscivore...simply just a matter of physics.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• daddadoo7
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

Rock/darth what indications would you look for when sexing these guys other than finage

Color pattern, but just have to remember if the argentea is the dominant cichlid. Dominant male cichlids will show their true male pattern at the sub-adult stage (about 5-6" for vieja, which is roughly close to 1 year of age). A sub-dominant male can show pattern similarly to a female.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish

Other than size, my best knowledge says you have to wait until maturity....& females can get long fins also.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds