silver dollars

  • Posts: 4258
  • Thank you received: 203

Big-Ken replied the topic: Re:silver dollars

I have 10 and i actually buy mine a 2mm sinking pellet and i throw a small handful on the opposite side of the tank then where I feed my Oscar. My Oscar ignores the small sinking pellet and they fight over all little food flying around instead of going after my large floating pellets
#394503

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 3605
  • Thank you received: 163

tehmole replied the topic: Re:silver dollars

i do have a breeding pair of SD - my ratio's 1 male / 5 females ..... it's free food for everyone else in the tank. the part that gets annoying is them being super skittish and just damage themselves each time i go into the room. it def can take a beating from my O .... but at 6+ inches.....they getting boring. I'm thinking of clearing my 125 and just have my O in it
#394504

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • daddadoo7
  • daddadoo7's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Posts: 3036
  • Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:silver dollars

I would get rid of them right now just not sure what would happen aggression wise
#394509

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 4258
  • Thank you received: 203

Big-Ken replied the topic: silver dollars

daddadoo7 wrote: I would get rid of them right now just not sure what would happen aggression wise

Honestly in your case i would leave it be, with that aggressive of stocking you might send that tank into a tail spin that cant be recovered even if you return the SD
#394511

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • daddadoo7
  • daddadoo7's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Posts: 3036
  • Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:silver dollars

Thanks ken thats what I was worried about just wanted confirmation
#394514

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • ehall67
  • ehall67's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Posts: 15869
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: Re:silver dollars

Well if you want to send them away I have a home for them! :evil:

I love my SD and the only way to keep them is in large groups the behavior is amazing!!!

I need some more striped SD tho! anyone have a lead?!?!?!

oh and you just don't like them for feeding reasons? like you think they are eating to much of the food you want for the cichlids? I don't think they would out compete a hungry oscar and you could always just feed more. I guess I am confused at the reason you don't like them

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals


#394601

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Darth Nandopsis
  • Darth Nandopsis's Avatar
  • Offline
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Posts: 6163
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: silver dollars

Do you still have the Tiger Barbs??? They would makegood dithers for your current stock....if you do remove the SD's, take the water level almost all the way down, easier to catch & won't freak out your cichlids as bad.

I'm not a fan of SD's either....little bastards I had ate almost all of my JF that took my YEARS to cultivate to what it is now...... :evil:

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.
#394611

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 3605
  • Thank you received: 163

tehmole replied the topic: Re:silver dollars

ehall67 wrote: Well if you want to send them away I have a home for them! :evil:

I love my SD and the only way to keep them is in large groups the behavior is amazing!!!

I need some more striped SD tho! anyone have a lead?!?!?!

oh and you just don't like them for feeding reasons? like you think they are eating to much of the food you want for the cichlids? I don't think they would out compete a hungry oscar and you could always just feed more. I guess I am confused at the reason you don't like them


when you referring to sripped SD's ... are we talking about tiger SD's? if so, there's some in my LFS - but are going for $65-75 each.
#394621

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • ehall67
  • ehall67's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Posts: 15869
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: Re:silver dollars

tehmole wrote:

ehall67 wrote: Well if you want to send them away I have a home for them! :evil:

I love my SD and the only way to keep them is in large groups the behavior is amazing!!!

I need some more striped SD tho! anyone have a lead?!?!?!

oh and you just don't like them for feeding reasons? like you think they are eating to much of the food you want for the cichlids? I don't think they would out compete a hungry oscar and you could always just feed more. I guess I am confused at the reason you don't like them


when you referring to sripped SD's ... are we talking about tiger SD's? if so, there's some in my LFS - but are going for $65-75 each.


Thats better than what I originally paid for mine I would buy them in a heart beat if it was my LFS I need to go check they are getting more common

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals


#394622

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • daddadoo7
  • daddadoo7's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Posts: 3036
  • Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:silver dollars

Yeah I paid 50 each cool looking just hate over feeding but I guess its working so why mess with it. Plus my wife like them
#394626

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.093 seconds