Can two baby oscars (2-3 inches) live with a pictus cat

• Osu bucks34
  • Osu bucks34's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Osu bucks34 created the topic: Can two baby oscars (2-3 inches) live with a pictus cat

Is it possible for two baby oscars that are around 2-3 inches long live with a pictus catfish around the size of 3-4 inches?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Can two baby oscars (2-3 inches) live with a pictus cat

It's possible they will be fine. What's also possible is that oscars will attempt to eat the pictus once they are 9" or larger, and then choke on the spines of the cat.

Another thing is that pictus like to be in schools of 6 or more.

It's best not to house a pictus cat with the oscars.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Osu bucks34

• Osu bucks34
  • Osu bucks34's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Osu bucks34 replied the topic: Can two baby oscars (2-3 inches) live with a pictus cat

Since I already have a pictus living with two oscars, should I just go ahead and buy a few more since they are a schooling fish? Or is it a better route if I just stay with one pictus cat in the tank? The tank is a 75 gallon with PLENTY of hiding spaces.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Can two baby oscars (2-3 inches) live with a pictus cat

In the long run the 75 g is too small for 2 oscars. I would jsut stick to one oscar in that tank. It's entirely up to you if you decide to get more pictus or not, or try one oscar with a school of pictus.

• Thank you received: 35

AZ Steve replied the topic: Can two baby oscars (2-3 inches) live with a pictus cat

A 75 is great for a single Oscar not much else. They are big messy fish(mine has a 90 all to himself) tank mates all depends on the individual O.(and proper tank space) Some Oscar's won't tolerate any other fish in their territory. I had a stripped Raphael catfish for awhile with my O. They are pretty tough and armored. But again depends on the Oscars temperament. Mine started picking up the cat and smacking him against the tank so now he has his tank all to himself. They really don't need tank mates and in my case didn't like any..lol

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds