fatguts found a friend

• roryson
  • roryson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4

roryson replied the topic: Re:fatguts found a friend

Haha flailing is such a good word for what they do haha, well the aggression seems to be dying down now they can be around each other without attacking each other and tiggar only occasionally opens his mouth and swims up on fg and he just flails away. If they where say boy and girl would there still be that full on aggression at the start? What signs do i lool for a pairing? Cause sexing them is almost impossible

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Re:fatguts found a friend

It honestly depends on the individual fish. Two males will almost always be too aggressive to get along, from what I've heard, so chances are you either have one male and one female, or two females.

The aggression you had wasn't full on by any means by the way. Full on aggression between cichlids usually means that one ends up injured or worse. What you've got (and I had) is pretty much just establishing dominance.

To give an example, a few months ago a LFS not far from me kept 3 oscars in a tank that they'd just had brought in. Within half an hour one of those oscars ended up with no tail whatsoever, because the other two literally bit it clean off. So yeah, if all you have is some open mouth posturing and backwards flailing, and it's decreasing already then you're probably lucky enough to have two that will get along.

Re pairing: If my O and sev are actually pairing up like the supergeniuses they are, then if you notice your two are following each other around, one is doing this little 'wiggle' dance which makes the other one swim up all happy-like, and they're clearing substrate out of areas together then you might have a pair ;) though it isn't unheard of for two females to get up to that behaviour either lol. Also, once they hit maturity you will be able to see the egg tube on the female if she's in the mood to make babies.

• roryson
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

roryson replied the topic: fatguts found a friend

this is about as bad as it gets

Lammergeier replied the topic: fatguts found a friend

Yeah, that's just Tigger establishing dominance as far as I can tell. If it gets no worse then you'll have nothing to worry about (as it will hopefully improve over time), but as always with cichlids there's no guarantees. If it's no better in a few weeks or if fg starts showing obvious signs of stress (going off food, sitting at the bottom of the tank etc) then they may need to be separated though even if there are no obvious physical injuries.

What size is that tank? If it's smaller than a 6ft 125 gal you're going to have to upgrade asap or they won't be able to coexist long term. It isn't just the bioload of two oscars (though that will become a problem), but a territory thing. The larger the tank, the less likely you'll run into aggression issues down the line. I'd also take out quite a bit of that decor ;) give them some more room to swim.

Oscars are open water swimmers so will appreciate more water volume vs more stuff to hide behind.

• roryson
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

Yeah ill def keep an eye out nah my tank is 6ft over 150 american gl so that shouldnt be an issues and ill moove out some decerations if thats meant to help.

Oh, awesome.

It'll help for a few reasons. 1: Oscars are clumsy - if I had that much decor not a day would go by without Henry getting scraped, 2: More water volume = better water quality = healthier oscars, 3: More swim space might help decrease the territory disputes a bit because they'll be able to get further away from each other... oh and 4: it'll decrease tank maintenance/cleaning because there will be less spaces where waste etc can get trapped underneath/between decorations, making gravel siphoning etc a lot easier.

I wouldn't make the tank bare though. Most people on here prefer the natural look - driftwood, rocks etc. I've got a couple of pieces of driftwood in my 6ft and a few rocks. The O and sev hang around one, the silver dollars hang around the other.

• roryson
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

Ok so I've taken half my fake plants out now I'm going have a look for a couple of bits of nice driftwood, I really like my helicopter though lol
here is a picture of the whole tank

just for an update FG is still being a sook but he is slowly starting to move around more, Tiggar is still standing over him and the occasional nip but they sort of just roll over each other more then anything I'm not sure if that means anything but I thought I should add it.

• roryson
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

And on a side note i found out tiggar is 2 years old and FG is on 6 montha tops and his nearly as big as him

How big are they? A 2 year old oscar I'd expect to be around the 12" mark (30cm).

• roryson
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

Just measured him at about 18 cm

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.089 seconds