Added a new Oscar to tank and large one is acting weird

• Maxwell1987
  • Maxwell1987's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Maxwell1987 created the topic: Added a new Oscar to tank and large one is acting weird

I have a 12" Oscar who is around 1.5 years old. He was by himself for about a year. I got another Oscar who was 2" so I put a clear divider in the tank so they could see each other until the small Oscar grew to 4". Once I took the divider down the large Oscar only hangs out on the side the small oscar was on. And every so often he will just swim up to the little one (who hangs out under a log bridge) and rubs against him. He doesn't bite or hurt the small Oscar tho. Is he playing around, trying to intimidate or trying to be a matting partner? I heard that fish who partner up hang out all the time. When the small one doesn't respond to the big one he swims away and waits beside the log. Almost looking depressed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Added a new Oscar to tank and large one is acting weird

Your lucky that the larger Oscar is playing nice...for now. May be Ok....but what size tank is it?

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Maxwell1987
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Maxwell1987 replied the topic: Added a new Oscar to tank and large one is acting weird

It's a 75 gallon.. He will charge at his reflection then swim back to the small one. Almost like he's protecting it.. When I had oscars years ago they hung out on seperate sides of the tank and that was in a 55 gallon tank..

• Thank you received: 158

Goranothos replied the topic: Added a new Oscar to tank and large one is acting weird

A 75 gallon is only big enough for one Oscar. Do your fish a favor and rehome one of them. Perhaps the store you bought him from will take the small one back?

“Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.” -Mike Tyson

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: Added a new Oscar to tank and large one is acting weird

What happened to the oscars you had years ago?

• Maxwell1987
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Maxwell1987 replied the topic: Added a new Oscar to tank and large one is acting weird

I'm only here to get answers to a question, not to be judged on my tank size that I'm housing the oscars in. Please have respect when answering. The tank is 75 gallon with a fluval 405 under the tank filter, so there is good water filteration for the size of tank they are being housed in. I due regular water changes as well. The water is clear and they seem happy.
I had to give my previous oscars to my uncle (after 6 years of owning them) due to moving conditions. I was only 15 when I got them, which is why 2 where housed in a 55 gallon tank. I am aware that was a bad choice for 2 oscars, but they grew up together and lived until they where 9.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Added a new Oscar to tank and large one is acting weird

Maxwell1987 wrote: I'm only here to get answers to a question, not to be judged on my tank size that I'm housing the oscars in. Please have respect when answering. The tank is 75 gallon with a fluval 405 under the tank filter, so there is good water filteration for the size of tank they are being housed in. I due regular water changes as well. The water is clear and they seem happy.
I had to give my previous oscars to my uncle (after 6 years of owning them) due to moving conditions. I was only 15 when I got them, which is why 2 where housed in a 55 gallon tank. I am aware that was a bad choice for 2 oscars, but they grew up together and lived until they where 9.

No one is judging you....you are taking it that way. And if you want respect, you have to give it. No need to snap @ anyone, as no one was out of line w/ you. All members on this site are dedicated to seeing their fish be healthy & thrive......& the set-up you have now is honestly set up for failure.

You are violating basic fish-keeping principles by overstocking that aquarium. You admit that you know what you are doing is wrong....so not sure why you would do it again. A 75GL tank is simply nowhere near enough room for 2 Oscars, & no amount of filtration will change that, bottom line. Clear water does NOT = clean water, & I can assure you by keeping 2 cichlids that put out the waste load that Oscars do, your nitrates (& phosphates, silicates, etc.) are off the charts, & not only will they eventually become sick, you may have to deal w/ territoriality sooner rather than later.

I'm not sure what your definition of regular water changes are, but unless you are doing 75% daily bare minimum, it's not enough to keep the water chemistry at safe levels.

Again, no one is stating anything out of line......all here have tons of fish-keeping experience, some, like myself, several decades of cichlid keeping experience, including breeding many species.....& the bottom line is that every member on this site simply wishes to see you succeed & your fish thrive.....you simply will not by overcrowding your aquarium.

The best thing you could do for the health of these fish is return the smaller one, or purchase a much bigger one, minimum 125GL.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

Goranothos replied the topic: Added a new Oscar to tank and large one is acting weird

Maxwell1987 wrote: I'm only here to get answers to a question, not to be judged on my tank size that I'm housing the oscars in. Please have respect when answering. The tank is 75 gallon with a fluval 405 under the tank filter, so there is good water filteration for the size of tank they are being housed in. I due regular water changes as well. The water is clear and they seem happy.

No one is "judging" you, just stating facts. A 75 gallon tank is too small for two Oscars to live a healthy life and thrive. There is no judgement in that, it is a simple fact. Perhaps you weren't aware of that, but now you have been informed. I say this will all due respect. Please don't mistake a blunt statement of fact for some sort of attack. We get folks almost every day who come on here with grossly overstocked tanks (much more overstocked than yours) and then get all butt-hurt when they are told that they are "overstocked and underfiltered". It's almost become a (bad) joke here on these forums.

A Fluval 405 is not adequate filtration for one Oscar in a 75 gallon. Again, a fact, not a judgement. I would suggest adding an Aquaclear 110 HOB, and running both filters, after you rehome the small Oscar.

The Oscars may seem to be getting along now, but that does not guarantee future peace between them, especially when your water quality will inevitably suffer from having two large cichlids in too small a volume of water/tight a space.

Here is an article written by one of the senior members of this forum who has been keeping big cichlids for decades:

www.oscarfishlover.com/oscar-fish-care-sheet

It is chock full of good advice.

Good luck. :)

Ha! Jack beat me by 9 minutes.

• Maxwell1987
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Sounds good, wasn't trying to start a debate. Just did a lot of research on the Internet and a came across a few sites that said 75 would be ok with water changes, I was aware about the 55 gallon being too small so I took a shot at a larger one. I'm from a small town in the middle of no where so I was lucky to come across a 75 gallon tank in this town, with out having to drive 2 hours to the city with a truck to haul a bigger one back. I got a good deal ($150 for tank, filter and stand) so I took it. I can't just return the fish, the pet store is 2 hours away and that's the closest one. So the best I can do is hope for good results and take this as a learning experience. I am well aware there is shotty info on cheap websites, which is why I came to a fish forum for an answer. And if I come across a larger tank then I will go from there.
But I would really like to know if how the bigger fish is acting is normal behaviour. And if anyone in there years of experience has came across this kind of situation. thanks again

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds