Added a new Oscar to tank and large one is acting weird

• Thank you received: 158

Goranothos replied the topic: Added a new Oscar to tank and large one is acting weird

There is no debate. The basic facts about tank size for large cichlids have long ago been determined, and all the knowledgeable members of this forum are in full agreement regarding this.

Now, $150 for a 75 gallon tank that holds water, a stand, and a Fluval 405 is a great deal. Grats on that. You were doing awesome until you put the second Oscar in the tank. Bottom line, the tank is too small for two Oscars. You need to rehome one of them, even if it means driving two hours. Either that, or purchase a bigger tank, or a second tank.

Edit: My tone here may be somewhat harsh, but rest assured that we all want you to do what is best for your fish, and we want you to succeed, do well, and have fun in this hobby. Good luck, and feel free to ask any questions you want.

“Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.” -Mike Tyson

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: Added a new Oscar to tank and large one is acting weird

If the other oscars lived for at least 6 years in a 55 then you must have performed water changes fairly often. So you know how important that is. I have a single oscar in a 75 and need to do 50% water changes every 5 days to keep nitrate at a safe level. It's easy to get behind schedule.

I don't keep oscars together and many who try find that their behavior makes for too much trouble. Oscars don't appreciate the company of others and are very happy to be alone. Fighting is usually what takes place, but the behavior your oscar is showing is also possible.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Added a new Oscar to tank and large one is acting weird

If you're asking about that behavior, then the only honest answer I can give you is that cichlid behavior cannot be guaranteed....even breeding pairs that have been together for years can suddenly go wrong. I would also recommend you get a separate tank for the other Oscar. Good luck to you.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:Added a new Oscar to tank and large one is acting weird

Trust what these guys are telling you. I had 1 oscar and two small cichlids in a 150 gal 6ft tank and ended up having to rehome the o because he basically claimed the entire tank. As one of the other cichlids grew (this is just my assumption) I feel that the o viewed him as competition and the fun wasnt so fun anymore. The smallest fish was about 3 inches at the time and he was never bothered maybe he never viewed him as competition ? Who knows but that oscar thats playing nice might just not view the smaller one as competition YET ontop of that you have them in a 4 ft tank

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Re:Added a new Oscar to tank and large one is acting weird

@Frank: I read a scientific paper a while back on oscars that found that they're most aggressive towards fish that are ~75% of their size, and become less aggressive as the other fish gets smaller, and when the other fish approaches their size or larger.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds