Need help with aggressive tankmate

• smallshaw22
  • smallshaw22's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

smallshaw22 created the topic: Need help with aggressive tankmate

Hello there!
I have a 75 gallon tank with 1 oscar (I would say like 15 inches now, maybe more), a breeding pair of convicts that stopped breeding recently, and a 4 inch red jeweled cichlid that was never aggressive until now. (Which I was told was a jack dempsey. He was small and pale and it was hard to tell. I believed the guy) Recently, as the red jeweled has gotten bigger, he is extremely abusive to my convicts. At first I thought it was bc he wanted their hiding spot but now it doesn't matter where they are. I am going to see if the fish store will take him back bc he's gotta go.

My question is, once the jeweled is gone, which fish would get along with the others? My tank looks empty bc my convicts hide and my oscar stays in one area. My oscar is the least aggressive or territorial.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:Need help with aggressive tankmate

Welcome to OFL. Not sure what your question is.. as you seem to have the proper solution. Return the JD as he will not play nice with others if he is like that now. Especially in such a small tank with that stocking. Which leads me to some advice I can give you on your situation and setup. If you have a 15 inch Oscar he is likely too big to be properly housed in a 75 gallon tank. Even a large adult Oscar of 12-14 inches whose growth has slowed will max out a 75 gallon tanks capacity, both size wise and water volumes capabilities to deal with a large waste producing fish. Add a couple convicts and the bio load would be huge. We recommend a 75 gallon for an Oscar alone with no tankmates. A lot of info you read will say 55 gallons minimum for an Oscar but if you've ever seen a full grown Oscar in a 55 gallon you would understand why it's too small. The water changes also become larger and more frequent as well with a smaller tank or larger fish. A 75 gallon with a 15 inch Oscar would require 2 75%+ water changes a week to maintain the fishes health and keep the water in good condition. I have one 12 inch and growing Oscar that I've had for just over a year, a 13 inch pleco and small Honduran red point male in a 125 gallon tank and I do 75%+ water change every 4 days to maintain water parameters. Post some pics by making a free photobucket account and uploading them to there and then copy and paste the image code here .. Or .. If you have a smart phone use the tapatalk app to access the forum and you can add pics directly from your phone to the forum with it.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.
The following user(s) said Thank You: smallshaw22

• Thank you received: 218

DBLN8 replied the topic: Need help with aggressive tankmate

15" is a big boy! I would love to see a pic of him.

I don't see how a 48" tank looks empty with a 15" fish in it, your Oscar maybe getting picked on by the convicts when they are in breeding mode. If you were to remove all fish but the Oscar I think you would see a big difference in your O.

Moving out the Jewel is a good move, I don't think you should add any more fish to the tank (IMO)

• smallshaw22
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

smallshaw22 replied the topic: Need help with aggressive tankmate

My oscar pretty much only swims in an area less than half the tank. The older he gets, the more he just kind of floats around until feeding time of course or when he attacks the magnet cleaner. :lol: And the 2 convicts are pretty small and they always hide in a little house in the other corner. So it just appears pretty empty. He doesn't mind if the convicts are near him. He actually seems to be protecting them from the jewel chasing them until he goes back tomorrow. I tried some artificial plants to make it look less empty but of course he didn't tolerate that. Lol so I was wondering about adding some small fish?? But I could see that being a bad idea.
As soon as I can get the picture thing figured out, I'll upload some pics. Thank u both.

• smallshaw22
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

smallshaw22 replied the topic: Re:Need help with aggressive tankmate

I know I should do more water changes than I do. This is my first and only oscar so I appreciate any advice. When I got him, he was 7 months old and about 7 inches. The owners had him in a 30 gallon tank and had never changed the water or filters EVER. You could barely even see him in the water. The only thing they ever fed him was goldfish flakes! There were nails and things in his tank. I had been researching oscars for a while and wanted one. So I saw that poor guy and had to save him.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Need help with aggressive tankmate

A 75GL tank is only big enough for 1 Oscar. That is the solution to all your problems. I would love to see a pic of a 15" Oscar.

Here's an article I wrote:

www.oscarfishlover.com/oscar-fish-care-sheet

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• smallshaw22
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

That definitely helps a lot! I have a canister filter and try to do a good water change once a week. I should do more. I honestly have no idea how he got so big. He eats about every other day. Mostly pellets but I give him mealworms, night crawlers, and/or peas a few times a week. He won't really touch the beef heart. Hes kind of picky about what he likes. No idea how he got so big. I really want to keep the two convicts bc their small and about 2 years old. They basically just hide. And they don't even pay attention to each other...but I will get rid of them if I have to..... but I don't wanna lol

• smallshaw22
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Ill upload pics when I get the photobucket or w.e. Wish there was an easier way to do it in the threads. But my profile pic is of him but it's an old pic. That was when I had just moved him into that tank.

• smallshaw22
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Also 15 inches was just my guesstimate. So don't get too excited guys.

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:Need help with aggressive tankmate

Do it from your cell phone much easier

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.146 seconds