Oscar and Jack are fighting

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Oscar and Jack are fighting

Joeybsmooth wrote: It is 150 gal.

How wide is the tank? If it is only four feet wide then that may be the issue. Oscars and JD's are both very territorial and four feet of space, if the fish in question are particularly aggressive, no matter what the volume, may not be enough distance between then.

Good luck managing this. It is always a delicate balance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Oscar and Jack are fighting

It's more likely a 60" x 24".

I doubt the two would even get along immediately in a 6 or 8 foot tank based on their current size. They are going to have to work out their cichlid hierarchy especially if they are the only 2 in the tank or the largest 2.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joeybsmooth

• Joeybsmooth
  • Joeybsmooth's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Joeybsmooth replied the topic: Oscar and Jack are fighting

I hope I did this right.

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Oscar and Jack are fighting

This looks to be a maximum 4 foot wide tank. Not enough length. Didn't realize you also had a turtle in the mix, that may also be the cause of some of your issues too.

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: Oscar and Jack are fighting

The most important thing you can do to keep your fish in good health is to perform partial water changes regularly. Oscars and JDs are extremely messy and produce a tremendous amount of waste. With the addition of a turtle, large water changes will be even more important. I would suggest getting an API master test kit (freshwater) so you'll know how often you'll need to change the water. I don't know a lot about turtles or how much waste they produce but I'd figure about 75% a week water change.

I'd like to hear what others have to say about the water change volume and schedule.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Oscar and Jack are fighting

Turtles are extremely messy and a huge strain on bio filtration. Should not be kept with cichlids in any tank. The more water you change, the better fish will do, but compatibility is always an uncertainty.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Joeybsmooth
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Thanks for the view point on the turtle, I always welcome more view points on keeping my guys happy. But are not as messy as people think . :unsure: Anywho I do, do a lot of water changes normally so my water cleanliness is normally not an issue.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Oscar and Jack are fighting

Tank footprint surely isn't helping here either. Looks very narrow/tall. Not much horizontal swimspace for the 2 cichlids to separate themselves. 150gals is a good volume, but as stated before, these 2 may just not cohabitate regardless of tank size. If JD gets peeved enough, he can put a serious hurt on the Oscar.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Joeybsmooth
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

They have stopped fighting. I moved around the stuff in the tank and added a log. It has been 2 days since I did that and no one is fighting. I hope this last.

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: Oscar and Jack are fighting

I remember a marine biologist on this forum pointing to a study on cichlid aggression. If I remember correctly, the study suggested that aggression between cichlids increased as the relative size of one cichlid to another approached 75% where aggression peaked. There was a relative decrease as size approached a 1:1 size ratio. This doesn't help you really ... I just remembered it thinking about your oscar and JD and thought it was interesting. :) The JD looks to be close to 75% of the size of the oscar.

Setting up the tank giving them each their own territory should definitely help. It's much better than having them both out in the open together. The log is probably helping in this way. Any additional ornaments (plastic plants, driftwood, rocks, etc.) that you can use to separate them even more should help keep the peace.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.093 seconds