rethinking my 160g stock

• gorgoroth
  • gorgoroth's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Evil IT Administrator
  • Thank you received: 80

gorgoroth created the topic: rethinking my 160g stock

ok so after moving them, the sd's have become more than skittish, shooting around the tank if I come near it.
can't be water params as they are exactly the same as the 130 was and lighting has already been dimmed.

so I'm considering rehoming the SD's and looking for some more tankmates.
new stock would revolve around my O (diablo) and my GT (azazel)

I know adding other cichlids has risks, but i can very easily rehome if issues occure.
the possible choices for tankmates:

heros notatus
heros severum
Rocio octofasciata
Thorichthys meeki
Aequidens pulcher

tanksize is 5'4" x 2'2" x 2'

any ideas?

160 gallon south american
190 gallon malawi

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:rethinking my 160g stock

Im partial to metae over pulcher. Ive been trying to get the right stock in my 150 since i set it up but I am mainly looking for fish that get along its a family tank in my living room. I tried to get a stock where the adult sizes are dofferent in each hoping that a pecking order would be easier to establish versus everyones being the same size. Right now im hoping to add a pearsei and call it a day. A.metae, hrp, vieja heterospilus are the current stock cichlid wise and.im worried its on the "over stocked" side. The width is nice but the length may restrict you dunno. Cryptoheros, metae/pulcher, meeki may be small enough where your o and gt dont see them.as competition. Have you thought about going a different route and adding a bittom dweller like a birchir or catfish the width would allow some nice cats

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: rethinking my 160g stock

hmm...pulcher maybe toast with the GT or if the opposite sex will want to breed. See what happens. Make sure to get the same sex for the FM and JD so that you dont end up with hybrids.

• gorgoroth
  • gorgoroth's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Evil IT Administrator
  • Thank you received: 80

gorgoroth replied the topic: Re:rethinking my 160g stock

the gt is a female so size isn't that important, she'll remain pretty small. I have considered a bichir, but I allready have a black ghost knife fish that hides all day, i prefer fish that i could actually see during the day :)

in the meanwhile I found out why my sd's are going bonkers, their seems to be 5-6 of them that are trying to breed all over the place.

160 gallon south american
190 gallon malawi

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:rethinking my 160g stock

O hate sd's ever since I swapped them out for rainbow fish the entire tanks is much calmer

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:rethinking my 160g stock

Do the SD's have some retreating area. They like plastic plants to relax around and behind if you keep them out from the back wall of the tank. If they have secure area they will be calmer.. usually.
And myself... I like the meeki's.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds