Jack Dempsey bullying Oscar?

• mattarrules
  • mattarrules's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

mattarrules created the topic: Jack Dempsey bullying Oscar?

Hi All, I have been a long time lurker of this site but it was finally time to post something! Recently I cleared out all the fish in my tank (sold them to local breeders) because I had always wanted an Oscar. Anyways, i bought a Red lutino or an albino Oscar as well as a jack dempsey. The moment i put them in the oscar floated up to the corner of the tank next to the heater. This continued for several weeks and i was worried he was sick. I noticed that he seemed somewhat afraid of the other fish. I went to my local pet supplier and bought another Oscar thinking this would balance out the aggresion. This was a tiger oscar who was larger then the other fish in the tank and from what i had heard he was slightly more aggresive, i was worried they may double team the weaker Oscar but i put him in to see what happened. The minute i put him in the two Oscars seemed as if they where buddies and shockingly the Jack Dempsey stillfought with the much larger Oscar and now i have two Oscars sitting in the corners of my tank! (Atleast it rules out the option of them being sick). So I assumed the problem was of course the jack dempsey, so i took him out and transfered him to one of my extra set ups. Unfortunately now the other Oscar is fighting with the smaller one! Any one have some tips? Thank you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 187

DMD123 replied the topic: Jack Dempsey bullying Oscar?

Welcome to the forum.

It would help us to know what size tank you are trying this combo in.

• mattarrules
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

mattarrules replied the topic: Jack Dempsey bullying Oscar?

I have a 75 tall ( I know wasy to small, but them being less then 2-3" each i assumed id be okay for a little. I also have a 65 tall which Is my holding tank for the not so nice one. I was just wondering what combination if any would work? So basically which of the fish should i get rid of? Thanks a thousand!

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:Jack Dempsey bullying Oscar?

Pick an Oscar and take the other one back. Leave the lone Oscar in the 75 by himself as that's a good minimum size for one Oscar. The fact that it's a tall tank may make the situation tough for even one Oscar in the tank though. What is the foot print dimension of the tank?

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

• Thank you received: 32

Bri B replied the topic: Re:Jack Dempsey bullying Oscar?

What size is the tank you have the 2 O's in? How about filtration and water changes and testing. If the O's are fighting it's fairly common but if it's non stop and the one is really beating up the other you should separate them ASAP. Lip locking and occasional bumping is very normal for 2 small O's

• Thank you received: 32

Bri B replied the topic: Re:Jack Dempsey bullying Oscar?

Yeah as usual that advice is spot on. This forum will give you every advantage to keeping happy healthy fish. Out of curiosity what kind of water change schedule and filtration are you using? I ask because I was way off base on what I thought I needed for O's

• Thank you received: 171

robham7770 replied the topic: Re:Jack Dempsey bullying Oscar?

What are the actual dimensions of the tank? I am not familiar with a 75 tall, but in the long run, you will need 4' plus if you want to keep a healthy oscar. If you have ever seen a really big one in a 4' tank you will know right away that anything less is not going to give the fish any room to swim.

• mattarrules
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

mattarrules replied the topic: Jack Dempsey bullying Oscar?

I'll try and get the dimensions to you asap. Not home ATM. But I am doing a 25% water change every five days.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Jack Dempsey bullying Oscar?

Large New World cichlids will defend at least of 4 feet of territory space, which is why there is a higher failure rate at keeping larger New World cichlids together when kept in groups of less than 4 in a tank of 4 feet in length.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Jack Dempsey bullying Oscar?

I have a 75 tall ( I know wasy to small, but them being less then 2-3" each i assumed id be okay for a little

Incorrect. Stocking for cichlids is always based on maximum adult size of species to be kept. And "tall" tanks are not good for most SA/CA cichlids.....laterally compressed cichlids like Angels, Discus, Festivums being notable exceptions.

Also, I would not recommend keeping SA & CA cichlids together.....with one exception ( Festae), SA cichlids do not have the jaw strength nor dentition to defend themselves when a fight occurs, & stand a good chance of being maimed or even killed.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds