Tankmate change up. GBR possibly.

• jmunroe
  • jmunroe's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 195

jmunroe created the topic: Tankmate change up. GBR possibly.

So I rehomed the 2 Honduran red point females I had in my Oscar tank a couple days ago, and have kept the male for now. But I'm thinking I may rehome him as well and try to establish an old staple and old favorite of mine in the tank, German blue rams. Since Chaos didn't seem to bother the 2 small females I'm hoping that possibly he won't notice another small colorful variety in there. The female HRPs were the same size as rams and while not the same color, they had similar color characteristics. This will be awhile in the making as I'm going to try to wait until one of the local club members has some fry again and get a bunch to see if I can make 2 or 3 work. Maybe I can sneak them in and he won't notice. The male HRP will have to go though as he would kill them. I've been thinking about this for awhile and think it would make a nice SA community if I can make it work. Might be worth trying to take advantage of Chaos' willingness to play nice with the smaller fish and see what happens. The only issues are getting good rams and their shorter lifespan, so in a couple years I would either have to get more rams or try something else. Stay tuned.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 171

robham7770 replied the topic: Tankmate change up. GBR possibly.

Honestly, I think that is a bad plan. I had GBR, and they are very delicate, and should be kept in a biotype/blackwater setup. I had a pair breed a while back, and moved them into a different tank. Crash and burn. I definitely am going to try them again, but in a 40g with some dithers.

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:Tankmate change up. GBR possibly.

Good luck j.
If it works out that would make an interesting set up
The following user(s) said Thank You: jmunroe

• jmunroe
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:Tankmate change up. GBR possibly.

I have kept GBR many times over the years and you are right. They are very delicate. I have kept a pair in my current house using the water I have here with no problems. My water is on the soft side and I am willing to blacken my Oscar tank more than I do right now to keep the Rams happy. My biggest concern is the large water changes that I carry out. I have always kept Rams best by housing them in overly understocked tanks, big tank small Rams, and doing smaller water changes. I think with the water exchange process I do, and by doing slightly smaller amounts 3 times a week maybe instead of the 2 I do now, they may be ok. Maybe I'm just trying to convince myself it will work when In fact it won't work at all. I'm thinking I might give it a try to see what happens.

robham7770 replied the topic: Re:Tankmate change up. GBR possibly.

I really hope it works out, and doing lesser more frequent water changes may be the key. I kept mine like they were big sa, and changed a lot of water at one time. I would really like to have some again, and hope you keep us updated.

The one I don't have. :(

• jmunroe
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:Tankmate change up. GBR possibly.

Maybe I'm worrying about the water change amount too much if you had no problems with large changes before. The largest I would do at a time when ever I kept them was 50%. Nice rams in the pic BTW. Too bad they didn't take the change so well.

• Thank you received: 163

tehmole replied the topic: Re:Tankmate change up. GBR possibly.

i've been trying to keep rams (electric blue / gold / GBR) ..... failed 90% --- i think i finally go it down. have a pair in a 20 long heavily planted tank - 50% WC change a week and added almond leaves to lower the PH. running on 2 sponge filters also...not sure if they prefer water movements but it seems like they enjoy it. had about 6 spawns from them...last spawn got to the wigglers stage...hoping this time it'll be keepers. good luck man - they are very enjoyable to keep...but super delicate. i'll post a pic of mines in a sec

• Thank you received: 2

WillB replied the topic: Re:Tankmate change up. GBR possibly.

German blue Rams are sure beautiful fish good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robham7770 replied the topic: Re:Tankmate change up. GBR possibly.

jmunroe wrote: Maybe I'm worrying about the water change amount too much if you had no problems with large changes before. The largest I would do at a time when ever I kept them was 50%. Nice rams in the pic BTW. Too bad they didn't take the change so well.

I think smaller frequent wc are the way to go with these guys, when I say I did large wc, you have to realize that I was very green to the hobby. and the change was probably 30 percent. I think that when I moved them to a different tank the shock was too much. If the mole has had success then disregard anything I say and listen to him. I really hope you get them, and have a lot of success.

• Thank you received: 163

tehmole replied the topic: Re:Tankmate change up. GBR possibly.

heres some pics of my 20 long:

i have a few more updated ones i'll post in a bit

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds