Red jewel cichlids with oscar

• chris99
  • chris99's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

chris99 created the topic: Red jewel cichlids with oscar

Hi all. I check out this forum from time to time and figured I should finally join. I'm a regular on another forum but I have an Oscar specific question I thought someone here would be familiar with. I currently have an Oscar and JD in a 90 gallon and may be upgrading to a 6 foot tank soon, probably a 150 or 180. They are both currently around 8 months old and I assume about half grown.

My wife has always wanted red jewel cichlids. I've read in multiple places about people putting jewel cichlids in with SA/CA cichlids since the water parameters are similar (unlike most other African cichlids). I've also read that the jewels can be very aggressive and may go after an Oscar.

Has anyone ever kept jewels in their SA/CA tank? It would go a long way in helping my wife accept 2 more feet of fish tank in the living room. If not jewels does anyone know of a compatible fish that has similar coloration? I've yet to see any SA/CA fish with that same vivid red color.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: Red jewel cichlids with oscar

Welcome to our little community. Well done for your research and you are right, RD cichlids can be aggressive so I would probably avoid putting one in with your Oscar. As for something similar, not really sure, I'm sure someone else may be able to think of something. How about a red spotted severum? They are absolutely lovely fish, really nice bright colours and they are perfect as tank mates for Oscars.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Thank you received: 163

tehmole replied the topic: Red jewel cichlids with oscar

welcome -

Red Jewels are mean little bastards - i wouldn't want to mix the two. I made the same mistake adding one with my oscar - lovely color and all, but when the lights turn off....that red jewel bully the crap out of my oscar...even if the oscar was 2 inches bigger. You can try Geo's in the 180, since they are mostly bottom dwellers - but need to be big enough that oscars don't shallow them. but severums are a nice addition also. for severums, you'll need to get odd numbers, with even numbers, a fight will happen

• Thank you received: 171

robham7770 replied the topic: Red jewel cichlids with oscar

I wanted one as well, but everything I read or heard emphasized their aggressiveness. so I never got one. temole has a great suggestion with the severums. There are a lot of color morphs out there, and I think actually trump the jewel in appearance.

https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.608044383208737689&pid=15.1&P=0

• chris99
  • chris99's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

chris99 replied the topic: Re:Red jewel cichlids with oscar

Thanks all. Severums seem like the smart choice. Either that or I'll go with a group of silver dollars.

• Thank you received: 18

turtle lover replied the topic: Red jewel cichlids with oscar

Also, I tried to put 5 star general cichlid, fish in the same genus, with an oscar From what I remember, the oscar attempted to eat it.

• Thank you received: 163

tehmole replied the topic: Red jewel cichlids with oscar

in the 180 a group of 10 silver dollars will be nice ~ but i'm over them....super spooked by everything. I removed my 8 and left my O in a 125 solo ATM. i had 2 red necks 'Rotkeil', constantly fighting. Love the colors in them, just not in even numbers :silly:

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds