Oscars and Green Severums

• Andre.collier
  • Andre.collier's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Andre.collier created the topic: Oscars and Green Severums

Hello,

I'm really looking for some advice.... I've had two Oscars now for 6 months now and they seem to be a pair as they keep fin twitching to each other with their tales and going limp. However, I've just put in a green severum around a day ago and one of the Oscars will not stop chasing the severum around! When i got the Severum a day ago all his fins were perfect and now they are tatty and bitten! The Oscars are 4 and 5.5 inches......roughly....
I spoke to the shop and they advised me to take both the Oscars out, rearranged the tank and then put them in.....still one insists in bullying the severum. I also have a convict which is smaller than the Oscars, the same happened during the first couple of days but he was small enough to hide and is now accepted within the tank.......will this happen to the severum.....? The only problem is, is that the severum is only just slightly smaller that the two Oscars at around 3.5inch rather then miniature like the convict that is 2 inch....

Please can someone give me any hints or tips......I'd love to keep the severum but if it carries on then I'm going to have to take him back as his fins are being nipped so much and its unfair for him to be constantly chased....

On the plus side, it has slightly calmed down this evening but I feel its just unfair....

Cherers

Also, if I was to take it back....what should I get....already got 2 plecs....just want something else with a little colour as the Oscars are both tigers!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Oscars and Green Severums

Hi Andre and welcome to OFL! If you could provide some info about your set up that would be helpful. Oscars typically don't reach sexual maturity until they are about 18 months old and the size of your oscars suggests they are much younger than that.

What size of tank do you have? It is recommended that you have minimum of 4 feet of swimming space and 55-75 gallons for a single oscar and a minimum of 6 feet of swimming space with 125 gallons of water for two oscars. Minimum. More is always better. If you are throwing in a severum into an inadequate tank size there will be territory issues and that will be the reason why it is getting beat up.

I have one green severum that is about the same size as yours with my oscar who is 8 inches or so. They get along great for the most part, but they are in a 6 foot, 125 gallon tank.

Unless you have a 180 gallon or more tank, I would not recommend adding plecos to your tank. Let us know and we can help give you advice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andre.collier

• Andre.collier
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Andre.collier replied the topic: Oscars and Green Severums

Hello,

I brought my both my Oscars together back in August last year......they are both doing the tail twitches and one keeps going limp....they also brush their tails against each other as if they are fanning. The tank is 350litres and 4ft long......so hence why I'm getting the territory issues! The shop seemed to advise me that my take size was ok for the two Oscars and severum.....but I guess I'm no fisherman ;) , so I would say that the larger Oscar is about 6.5inches and the small Oscar is 5.5inches.....then severum being 4inches I guess.

I'd hate to separate the Oscars now they are kind of flirting with each other....but as you say the tank is too small for 2. But they seem fine... :S

I have 2 plecs in the tank too....one is 1.5inches and the other 2....but I rarely see them as they are hiding allll the time!

I think I will take the severum back in the morning.......soo gutted as I love the fact there are more fish to look at....however, my Oscars come first!

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Oscars and Green Severums

Hi there and welcome to our community

Poseidon is quite right regarding tank size. Unfortunately the shop did not really give you good advice regarding tank size. Your tank is around 75 gallons, that's big enough for one adult Oscar and not really much else. It's always difficult for us to give this type of news to people after they've got their fish. Obviously we're not going to dictate to you what you must do. However, we can only advise you on your situation. At the moment, your Oscars are still fairly small, you can expect the Oscars to be twice the size by the end of the year I would expect. So if you've got two large Oscars, plus all the other fish you have, I think you're going to be battling to keep water conditions at a safe level.

As for your Oscar's behaviour, this is quite normal. 6 1/2 inches is slightly too small for any type of breeding behaviour. If they did pair off when they become sexually mature then your situation could get very tricky indeed because they would become extremely aggressive to any other fish during breeding periods.

All the information you need is on the website, I'm sure you know what we recommend for tank size, you'll have to decide what you are going to do. We are here to help, but the advice we give you is only credible if people are willing to follow the advice properly. In other words, if somebody crams a small fish tank with fish but is not willing to compromise, there is little we can do to help. :-)

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Oscars and Green Severums

Taking him back would be the best option I think. The plecos will add significantly to your bio-load and can grow upwards of 12-18 inches (if common). Your tank will be severely overstocked before too long. Typically one should set up a tank for the adult fish they will grow into. It is something many beginners often make the mistake of doing. Sometimes you can get lucky and a pair of oscars will get along and perhaps pair up in such a small tank (about 90 US gallons = 350 litres), but more often than not at some point in the near future a switch will go off and they will start fighting. Also, the bio-load for two oscars will overwhelm the 90 gallon. I have one 9 inch oscar in a 75 gallon by himself and he is stressing the bioload. One oscar by himself would do great in the tank you have. Sorry to be the bearer of this reality.

Do you own a liquid test kit for water parameters? Such as API Master test kit? Do you know about cycling an aquarium?

Unfortunately the story you give of bad advice from a local fish store/box store, is far to common. Good luck.

• Thank you received: 163

tehmole replied the topic: Oscars and Green Severums

welcome to OFL -

you're in great hands - all the information giving to you are what i would tell you. You still have time to make a change to give your oscar a healthy life (10+ years) - get a 6 feet 150 gallon tank for the pair...if it's a pair.

would love to see some pictures.

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Oscars and Green Severums

with all those inputs and ideas, i believe it is now in your hand what moves to do for the best welfare of your fish. i wish i could have another ideas but those advises are the only option i could think of too.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

Hey guys, both myself and the mods have been talking about how we deal with questions that we think have been addressed properly. Whereas we don't like locking threads which obviously stops people from continuing to post, we don't want things to go around in circles and end up confusing the situation. So what we've decided to implement is when we deem that the original question has been addressed properly and has basically been answered, we are going to change the icon to a checkmark. Obviously you can see this when you Scroll through the messages. By all means carry on talking and posting in this thread, but please remember that we deemed that the question has been answered successfully so we don't want any contradictions. We have done this because in the past things have sometimes got out of hand.

But please carry on talking, we certainly don't want to stop people enjoying themselves and trying to help the original poster. Thanks for your understanding :-)

• Andre.collier
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Andre.collier replied the topic: Oscars and Green Severums

Thank you very much everyone for the help! You guys have seriously helped me out and will be taking back the Severum tomorrow morning! Will also upload some pics of my current two oscars and the tank!
For now i will remain with the 4ft 350litre tank whilst they are both still young and then when they get too big then I'll purchase a 6ft tank!
Yes, I have a water test kit and currently all fine according to that, I'm also doing quater water changes each week as they are pretty messy!
Sorry for being the classic beginner....I guess we all have to start out somewhere lol!
Once again thank you very much for your time!

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

Very wise decision. Personally, I absolutely hate having to give this type of news to people, there's nothing worse than telling someone that they can't keep their fish. But obviously it's very important that you give people the correct information and let them act on it. At the end of the day, the fishes welfare should be paramount and I think anyone would much rather see their fish going back to the fish store, rather than watching it die a slow and painful death.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds