Big fish, little fish?

• Sosban Fach
  • Sosban Fach's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18

Sosban Fach created the topic: Big fish, little fish?

Hi guys,

Its been two months since I lost my severum so im thinking about moving on. Its a big tank (150 US Gal) for one fish. My Oscar is pretty established and I don't know how hes going to eact to haveing a stanger in his tank. So I made a divider as shown below.

My question is do you think a juviniele or adult oscar be best?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Big fish, little fish?

I'm afraid it's six of one and half a dozen of the other when you are introducing an Oscar into a tank that already has an Oscar in it. Until you try you will just not know. I wouldn't get anything too young or small, it might be at risk from being killed. My advice would be to get an adult Oscar, ask the store owner if you can take it back if it doesn't work out. Put the fish together with the divider for a few days and see how they interact. However, I'm afraid nobody will be able to tell you what's going to happen, that's just something you will have to find out for yourself.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: Big fish, little fish?

I think an Oscar of any size would be a very long shot at success. Considering the near impossibility of sexing them, and the size and comfort factor of your current fish. Saw your post on the loss of your Sev, sorry to hear. As a keeper of a few Sevs, and having very good luck mixing them with other cichlids, Oscars included, I would vote for a couple more, if you could get some of suitable size. If Sevs are off your list, how about Chocolate cichlid, or Nicaraguan. Maybe a decent sized Dempsey or Green Terror.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Sosban Fach
  • Sosban Fach's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18

Sosban Fach replied the topic: Big fish, little fish?

I do miss the sev and really liked it so maybe sevs are on the table, but its difficult to get an adult and i think it would have to be a red spotted.

Would it work with a small sev until it gets big enough to removethe divider? Maybe a few months?

I think it would just have to be the one sev because im limited with my water changes

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds