120 gallon stocking

• Tjflip44
  • Tjflip44's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Tjflip44 created the topic: 120 gallon stocking

I recently picked up a 5' long 120 gallon tank. This will be my first oscar tank. I will have it filtered by two canister filters (not sure which ones yet). I already have a tank with african cichlids in it so I understand the importance of proper filtration.

So I am looking for some suggestions for tankmates. I want to have some other fish in the tanks with the O. I have read contradicting things on tankmates for O's so I figured I would ask here. Preferably I would like the oscar along with a catfish or pleco(not the large plecos) and also another medium to large cichlid or a small group of medium cichlids.

I like pictus catfish and have seen them recommended on some sites but am concerned that they wouldn't be quite large enough to house in the tank with the O.

I like ejbd and think fire mouths are ok as well. I really like the red shoulder severums but I don't know that I can find them around here. Not a huge fan of the other severums.

I also like some of the geophagus species? And thread fin acara. Would either of these go well with an O?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 18

turtle lover replied the topic: 120 gallon stocking

I think a good catfish is a Striped Raphael Catfish. I have one and they are greedy eaters and cute. They are interesting when they move at night.

• Tjflip44
  • Tjflip44's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Tjflip44 replied the topic: 120 gallon stocking

I will look into them? So do pictus cats work? Because I really like them and they are readily available to me. I have already seen a lot of contradicting information about them on this forum. I guess it depends on each persons experience.

• Thank you received: 163

tehmole replied the topic: 120 gallon stocking

pictus are very interesting - they need to be kept in a group of 4+. They are very very sensitive to water parameter due to them being scaleless.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: 120 gallon stocking

Hello and welcome to OFL. The 5ft 120 is one of my favorite tanks, thats why I have 3! Just be aware though, when you see a foot long or better Oscar in one, its not really a big tank. It makes a great long term home for a single Oscar, not much room for any other cichlid, and anything too small is always on the menu. Its a good community tank for smaller cichlids, say 6-8ins, not so much for Oscar plus others.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds