Oscar and silver dollars?

• anonymoose
  • anonymoose's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

anonymoose created the topic: Oscar and silver dollars?

Okay so I just have one question, at what size do my silver dollars have to be for me to introduce an oscar? The oscar is a baby right now about an inch long, and I plan on getting him. My silver dollars are about 2 inches long right now.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Oscar and silver dollars?

you can mixed them right away.... SD is fast swimmer ...

• anonymoose
  • anonymoose's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

anonymoose replied the topic: Oscar and silver dollars?

Those guys are aeesome, how big are they? im just worried the oscar will outgrow them?

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Oscar and silver dollars?

Silver dollars grow pretty fast, they are also schooling fish and therefore should be In groups. I wouldn't worry too much about keeping them with Oscars, they actually make fantastic tank mates, the Oscars won't pay any attention to them at all.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:Oscar and silver dollars?

I had 9 in my 6 foot tank with my Oscar. They make great tank mates. My Oscar started to get dominate with them and started keeping them in the corner they liked and not letting them stray far out. The worst thing I found with them is that when feeding the large SDs floating food they would make a heck of a mess with splashing water so I would recommend sinking food for them. Get a veggie clip and romaine lettuce, they love the lettuce.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

• Thank you received: 18

turtle lover replied the topic: Re:Oscar and silver dollars?

jmunroe wrote: I had 9 in my 6 foot tank with my Oscar. They make great tank mates. My Oscar started to get dominate with them and started keeping them in the corner they liked and not letting them stray far out. The worst thing I found with them is that when feeding the large SDs floating food they would make a heck of a mess with splashing water so I would recommend sinking food for them. Get a veggie clip and romaine lettuce, they love the lettuce.

I have a somehow similar problem with silver dollar and floating pellets. The problem is though my oscar keeps getting the pellets before the silver dollars. Also, the silver dollars are scared of my hand over the tank. What I do is I put sinking pellets with the floating pellets to make my silver dollar to eat.

• gorgoroth
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Evil IT Administrator
  • Thank you received: 80

gorgoroth replied the topic: Re:Oscar and silver dollars?

for me it was the other way around, my school of sd's were getting most of the food before my oscar could even get to it. I also couldn't do any maintenance on the tank without them flying around the tank like supercharged bouncing balls. In the end it would seem that they were constantly trying to breed and even my oscar was getting stressed by them doing that all over the tank.

160 gallon south american
190 gallon malawi

• Thank you received: 18

turtle lover replied the topic: Oscar and silver dollars?

I also feed my silver dollars veggies by tying the veggies on the decor. However, in my experience, it does not work with all silver dollars. Most silver dollars reject the veggies.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds