Pleco?

• Thank you received: 40

face mcshooty replied the topic: Pleco?

am about to get a Fluval FX6 should I remove one of the HOB filters when i install the FX6 or just keep everything as is plus the FX6?

that's up to you but extra filtration never hurts and if you ever need a cycled filter you have one

Will the extra filtration allow me to cut my weekly water changes to biweekly?

no filtration is not a substitute for water changes

and nice tank by the way

Don't dwell on what went wrong. Instead focus on what to do next

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:Pleco?

It's a common misconception that more filtration equals less water changes. It's simply not true. Filtration keeps your fish alive between water changes by turning the harmful ammonia created by the fish into less harmful but still toxic nitrites, then to even less harmful, but still toxic, nitrates, which need to be removed by carrying out water changes. There are other things that get removed and added during water changes but nitrates are the best and easiest indicator of water quality for the average home aquarist. An aquarium needs enough filtration to be able to process the ammonia with beneficial bacteria as soon it is produced to keep the fish from spending any time exposed to it. So basically one fish of a given size, fed a given amount of food and kept in a given amount of water will produce the same amount of waste bi product. Filtration only ensures that the most harmful form of waste is reduced to the least harmful form of waste until it can be dealt with by water changes. Get the FX6 for sure as you will need the added filtration.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

• SlippinCichlid
  • SlippinCichlid's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

SlippinCichlid replied the topic: Re:Pleco?

Thank you. I'm just going to keep up with everything I've been doing even with the added filtration. I use the master test kit a day after my weekly water changes and have been successfully keeping ammonia and nitrates low (0-10ppm). Thanks for all of the feedback!

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:Pleco?

If you are getting ammonia readings in your tank now and you don't have any in your tap water then you definitely need more filtration ASAP in the form of biomedia. As the fish get bigger it will only get worse. Tank looks great.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.122 seconds