New arrival!

• Sosban Fach
  • Sosban Fach's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18

Sosban Fach created the topic: New arrival!

Hi guys,

So ive been hunting for a tank mate for my oscar. Its been slim pickings but I finally managed to pick up a jack dempsey at a local store. There were three available I picked the biggest one.

I have a divider as you will see and so far there doesnt seem to be any aggression between the two fish. I thought there might be a little growling between the divider, but so far nothing. The oscar seemed curios at first, but its been just under a day and he seems to have lost a lot of interest.

As you can see tomks is about 5-6 inches in comparison the the oscar who is aout 10 inches.

So my question is When should i remove the divider?

This is also my first JD so I would also apreciate any pointers and constructive critisms.

So introduceing...........Tonks!

For size comparison.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: New arrival!

give it a couple of weeks and then remove it when you are home the whole day. I say the 2 weeks because it will give the newcomer time to adjust and eat, gaining some "fat reserves" to what become a stressfule situation of postering.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: New arrival!

Nice JD. Hope it goes well. I have 1 that is a mild mannered cream puff, another that is just a holy terror. Fingers crossed for you!

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Sosban Fach
  • Sosban Fach's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18

Sosban Fach replied the topic: New arrival!

Thanks im glad you answared. I was going to remove the divider sunday night. Ill wait two weeks.

Good news I read it was a bit early to try food, but i dropped in a sinking pellet and the jd took it!

Still seems a little skittish, doesnt like any quick movements outside the tank.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: New arrival!

I've always found JD to be a bit shy and skittish at first, and they are major sulkers for things like water changes or deco rearranging. Like most CA, they do like a cave type thing to get in/under.Maybe move that pipe "T" to his side and let him claim it and settle in? Mine have always been good eaters though, take whatever is offered for the most part.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: New arrival!

If you have tall plastic plants, you can put it near the front of the JDs area so that it thinks it is hiding from stuff outside of the tank.

Or move the pile of rocks to the front corner.

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:New arrival!

Nice JD. Hope it goes well for you. I too would rearrange some decor and let him settle in for a couple weeks and get used to seeing each other.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds