Algae galore, time for an algae eater?

• tiffbham
  • tiffbham's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

tiffbham created the topic: Algae galore, time for an algae eater?

I have a 55 gallon that sits on the second story in front of a window with a curtain over. It houses 2 roughly 12 inch Oscars and a 6 inch parrot fish (he came with the 90 gallon tank I bought for 30 dollars what a deal) as well as a black convict called no tail (like 3 inches long and hides in A rock during the day and cones out at night) anywho I had an algae eater that died roughly 3 months ago and the algae took off from There. I did a total tank clean out about 2 months ago. It's on the decorations all on the glass and I can't figure it out. The tank was clean with the eater but now it's insane. Would it be appropriate to put an algae eater just as big in it? And before I get fussed I know my tank is too small but eventially I will be getting a bigger tank. I never have just one oscar cause it needs companions and the parrot fish came after with the cheap tank and no tail was with the Oscars since they were babies.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 18

turtle lover replied the topic: Algae galore, time for an algae eater?

55 gallons is just enough for 1 oscar. The tank is overstocked. Your location is a prime breeding ground for algae. You can try moving it or covering the tank. Putting an algae eater will add more bioload in the tank.

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Algae galore, time for an algae eater?

having tank exposed to sunlight need more biomedia and mechanical media.
adding more fish in a small tank will create more trouble than cure..
i have big tanks exposed to sunlight, my water remains crystal clear..
all pictures at my signature are taken from the community tank expose to sunlight

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: Algae galore, time for an algae eater?

Hello and welcome to the site. Can we see some pics, or better still, a video of your tank and fish?

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 4

noodle replied the topic: Algae galore, time for an algae eater?

Draco the water in your pictures always looks perfectly clear. Do you get much algae growing on the glass? If so how do you scrape it off or is your water so clean that there are not enough nutrients for algae to grow?

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Algae galore, time for an algae eater?

noodle wrote: Draco the water in your pictures always looks perfectly clear. Do you get much algae growing on the glass? If so how do you scrape it off or is your water so clean that there are not enough nutrients for algae to grow?

having those fish, it will be impossible to have less nutrients for algae.. however, having plenty of media in the filter keeps the water crystal clear... if you take a look at the flooring (bottom plate) there are lots of algae... i just scrub them if ever i have time every now and then... and leave the filter to the rest...
The following user(s) said Thank You: noodle

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.132 seconds