Introducing new fish

• Maxthecax
  • Maxthecax's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Maxthecax created the topic: Introducing new fish

I already have 2 oscars,both around 3-4", and will be getting 1 Green Terror and 1 Jack Dempsey soon. I am going to put them all into my 180g tank at the same time. Any suggestions on how I should do it would be awesome. I want to have minimal amount of fighting as possible. There's going to be a lot of hiding places with big rocks and 2 pieces of drift wood

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Introducing new fish

I think it's probably a very good idea to make sure that you design your tank layout so that each fish has got the chance to make its own territory. Even though green terrors and Jack Dempsey's are not the most aggressive fish you can get, there are still cichlids and cichlids can be aggressive. I think you would probably be wise to put the Jack Dempsey in first, let it find its way around the tank for a while, then add the terror. Let us know how you get on, it's always interesting to have somebody who can give advice based on their own experience.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Introducing new fish

Try to get the JD and GT slightly bigger than your Oscars. JD and GT grow very slowly, Oscars quite opposite. In 6 months or so your Oscars will easily be double their current size, maybe triple. 10in Oscars will bully and stress much smaller fish to the point of big health problems. For introduction you could put a divider in the tank, but if JD and GT dont play nice together, then you have another set of problems. Were I in your situation, I would not add any fish until I was semi certain the Oscars will get along with each other. They are still small and young, and 1 may turn on the other as they mature.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Introducing new fish

Its unlikely that you will get true GT. True GT can hang with a Dempsey, from a tough guy point of view. The false GT, or Acara, Saum mixes that are more readily available are quite mild mannered. I have had no luck with GT JD mixes, but never had a true GT. If you get a Dempsey with a chip on its shoulder, and thats quite possible, GT and even the Oscars will be in for some trouble.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds