• Vinny
  • Vinny's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8

Vinny created the topic: 125

I know 125 is pretty much the max for 2 Oscars fully grown by themselves counting on them getting along. I'm getting rod of my 3 redhooks today that leaves me with 2 Oscars and an adult featherfin who just stays to itself 90% of the time under a pot lid. Is there a single fish I could most likely get away with adding to this set up. I know it will be a little more packed then desired as adults but I have to imagine there is some sort of smaller 6 inch or so fish that should or could work. Figured I'd ask since I bit off way too much then I could chew with the redhooks and now I'm losing money giving them to a coworker.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: 125

A couple of potential roadblocks. One, as you seem to be aware is will the Oscars be good long term. Then, lets assume they are a good couple, they may not take kindly to any intruders. Third, your tank is still at maximum stock, even minus the Hooks. I have a single Oscar, well over a foot long in a 125 with a similar sized Sailfin pleco. It takes a lot of large water changes to maintain good water quality. When your Oscars get big, you will see that a 125 is really not a big cichlid tank.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Vinny
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Vinny replied the topic: Re:125

Yeah I know. I have a 10 inch net floating the the water to get the redhooks comfortable with it so I can scoop them out and you can see the net takes up some room and that's not even taking up the width the Os will

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Re:125

Patience Vin.. Oscar is a very large cichlid, big eater and waste producer. Also one of the more delicate fish pertaining to iffy water quality, stress from lack of space etc. A few months from now, if everything goes well, you will be glad you have just 2 Oscars. I had a pair of adults in a 125. As they approached the foot long mark, the 125 was beginning to look tight. Not inadequate, just quite full. I moved them to a 180 with a 24in width. World of difference.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: 125

While you might end up with compatible fish, the amount of work required to keep nitrates under 20ppm in that volume of water is immense, especially once the oscars reached 10-12".

• Vinny
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Vinny replied the topic: Re:125

Yeah figured all of that.. Well redhooks and that damn clown loach I've been dying to catch are out of tank. Now to let them relax with all the space

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds