125g stocking

• bland
  • bland's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2

bland created the topic: 125g stocking

Just a question about stocking. At the moment I have a 3-4 month old Oscar and a red severum the same age / size ins a 125g 6 foot tank. Filtration is a fx6 and 2 large sponge filters.

I'm going to pick up a featherfin catfish tonight, and am planning to get a second severum as soon as I can find a decent male of similar size.

Am I going to be overstocked with this plan?

1oscar
2 severum
1 featherfin cat.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: 125g stocking

I reckon you will be okay. You've certainly got good filtration so no worries there. You'll probably find that once all the fish reach their maximum size you have to do a sizeable water change at least once a week. But having had a 125 gallon tank myself, I don't foresee any problems if you stick to the tank maintenance rules that we always like to promote :-)

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• bland
  • bland's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2

bland replied the topic: 125g stocking

Thanks. Doing a 60% water change weekly right now. Testing waters at least once or twice a week.

There's also 8 danio's in the tank right now as dither fish, but they are slowly getting taken care of. Should be all gone soon, and my Oscar is figuring them out.

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: 125g stocking

When all fish approach adult size you will be overstocked. Divide your realistic volume, 120ish at most, by 4, and you have 30gals per fish. 6ft tank or not, thats not big enough. I would stick with your current 2 fish. When Oscar exceeds a foot and Sev gets to 8ins or more, you will realize 125g is not a big cichlid tank.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.166 seconds