Oscars and Convicts

• dwyer867
  • dwyer867's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

dwyer867 created the topic: Oscars and Convicts

Hey everyone this has probably been discussed a million times but whats one more time lol

I have 2 oscars living together in 50g tank right now and yes i know the tank is to small for them i am waititng for my new 100g tank to arrive so thats covered but when my new tank gets in i was looking at adding some convicts to the tank will 1 convict just get bullied by the 2 oscars?? should i put 2 in there or is that gonna start some convict/oscar turff war

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1

Jonesy replied the topic: Oscars and Convicts

I have kept Oscars and Convicts together before many times. This is how to do it with minimal issues. Make sure the Convicts you introduce are big enough not to be eaten. Oscars and not necessarily aggressive fish like most people think. They are just pigs and eat pretty much whatever will fit in their mouths. Also be sure to have some sort of cover and hiding spots for both the Oscars and the Convicts. This will give them places to retreat to and call their own if needed. As far as keeping one Convict I would suggest 3 Your 100 gallon should suite those 5 fish well. Speaking from previous experience.

Jonesy
The following user(s) said Thank You: dwyer867

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Oscars and Convicts

I've also kept convict cichlids and Oscars together and encountered no problems whatsoever. What will find is the smaller cichlids will probably stay away from the Oscars. When you are keeping these cichlids that don't really get much more than 6 inches it's important to give them lots of cover for them to retreat to. A nice big piece of wood with lots of Heidi holes is absolutely perfect. Or you can make up a cave with rock, this will give them somewhere to go and be safe.

Sorry, just realise a previous poster has has had basically the same thing :-)

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jonesy

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Oscars and Convicts

Tank footprint plays a bigger role than volume when keeping large cichlids. Imo 100gals is very restrictive for 2 Oscars and has no room for tankmates. For 2 Oscars and perhaps a pair of Convicts(NOT a breeding pair) I would recommend a 6ft tank of no less than 150gals.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds