Oscars and Firemouths?

• gorilla204
  • gorilla204's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

gorilla204 created the topic: Oscars and Firemouths?

Has anyone here had success with this stocking?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: Oscars and Firemouths?

Not me personally, but I know a lot of people have kept the two together with no problems at all. But remember that both are cichlids so if you are going to keep them it's best to do so in a large aquarium. Also, the fire mouth is considerably smaller than the Oscar and therefore it's a good idea to give it some places where it can shelter and get out of the way if it wants to.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• gorilla204
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

gorilla204 replied the topic: Oscars and Firemouths?

ok thank you. What fish would you say is the best tank mate for an oscar?

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: Oscars and Firemouths?

Unless somebody has tried literally every single freshwater fish there is, it's impossible to say what tank mate is the best. I can only recommend fish that I've tried myself. Also, it depends on what you want out of the tank may. If you want movement in the tank that's in a small way replicates a natural environment than you want a small group of fish such as silver dollars, these make excellent tank mates. However, if you just want one of a certain place then fire mouth, Jack Dempsey's will work as long as you give them their own space. Some species of catfish are good tank mates. Even though I don't normally recommend mixing fish from different parts of the world, I used to keep syndontis catfish and Oscars together with great success. I've even kept a group of clown loaches with Oscars. These two species of fish come from completely different parts of the world but the water parameters they require are very similar and they don't bother with each other. Some species of gourami will work. Obviously all this depends on tank size. Anything under 100 gallons means you are extremely limited to what you can keep. But if you want a mixed variety then you are going to be looking at well over 100 gallons.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• gorilla204
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

So what would you recommend for 90 gallons?

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Oscars and Firemouths?

I have kept FM's with Oscars. Not a problem, provided tank size is available. You dont want a small fish constantly hiding and escaping a larger one. I stand by my previous recommendation that a 48x18 footprint and 90g of water will hold just one Oscar, alone. When Oscar is approaching 2yrs old and possibly 14+inches, you will see that a 90g tank is really quite small. I currently have 5 Oscars, all but one juvenile over a foot long. They all live in tanks of 6 and 7 feet, 125 to 265gals. I have one particularly large fella, at least 14ins, only 3yrs old. He makes a 6ft 125g tank look small. Large Sailfin pleco with him, tons of filtration. Tank needs a 75% water change every 4-5 days to keep nitrate well under 20ppm.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• gorilla204
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

ok thanks for the info. I've had other members that i could have 2 small cichlids like Blue acara, port acara, gold acara and keyhole ciclids with an oscar in a 90.

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Oscars and Firemouths?

I've been keeping Oscars for a very long time. Understanding their size potential and bioload they inflict on any tank they inhabit is important for the long run. They can live well over 10 yrs, I have had several reach 12-14. If you are dead set on an Oscar, and 90g is the biggest tank you can do, I will always say its Oscar alone. Now, if you want a 2 or 3 fish tank, then the others with slower growth rate and smaller adult size would do fine. I just cant recommend tankmates with a 14in 3lb cichlid in a 4ft tank.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.127 seconds