165G: Oscar / Sev / Uaru / Heckelii / Elec Blue Acara ok?

• THQ
  • THQ's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

THQ created the topic: 165G: Oscar / Sev / Uaru / Heckelii / Elec Blue Acara ok?

Red Tiger Oscar
Red spotted severum
Uaru
Heckelii (threadfin acara)
Electric blue acara

1 of each. Will buy all non oscars small and grow them for a while before adding a baby O.
Picked the 4 tankmates based on similar water parameters, from south america, look great/have decent personality and relatively peaceful for cichlids.

What do you think?

Originally thought about others but:
Leporinus would nip fins.
Clown loaches need a group which will overstock my tank, and grow too slow, and have spines.
Plecos are too big and messy.
Green terrors too aggressive.
Just not into the look of silver dollars - not enough colour for my tastes.
Don't want to mix CAs with my SAs.

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: 165G: Oscar / Sev / Uaru / Heckelii / Elec Blue Acara ok?

All nice fish. Possible concern would be the Heck and EB not getting along, being related in the Acara family. Never had a Chocolate, but any reading I have done on them indicates they do best in a small group of their own kind. A single may stress a bit. As for plecos, its the commons that are the big slobs. Lots of medium sized that would look good. L600($$$!), L114, similar but more affordable are very nice plecs.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• THQ
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

THQ replied the topic: 165G: Oscar / Sev / Uaru / Heckelii / Elec Blue Acara ok?

Thanks for reply. Unfortunately we don't have ready access to any suitable plecos such as your suggestions, other than commons and sailfins in Australia, even online. You can get smaller plecos like bristlenoses but they are too small. I have heard go with big plecos otherwise the oscar will bully or even try to eat them.

When you mentioned chocolate cichlid I was confused, as in my mind and at my LFS chocolate cichlid means something else (Hypselecara temporalis) rather than the uaru (Uaru amphiacanthoides). After googling I found out that one of the other names for uaru is also chocolate cichlid... very confusing but 2 different fish I believe. You are correct that uaru like to be in groups - just looked into it. As I can't keep a group I'll take them off the list.

I'll have to see whether the heckelii and blue acara get along. Hopefully the tank is big enough and enough hiding places for them to do so. They may both be more wary of the oscar than each other though.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: 165G: Oscar / Sev / Uaru / Heckelii / Elec Blue Acara ok?

I find that Severum, while not considered a traditional schooling fish, they do like the company of their own kind. I would have at least 2 Sevs, since you are not going with Uaru

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: 165G: Oscar / Sev / Uaru / Heckelii / Elec Blue Acara ok?

Electric blue acaras are much smaller than hecklii or regular blue acara.

• THQ
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

THQ replied the topic: 165G: Oscar / Sev / Uaru / Heckelii / Elec Blue Acara ok?

Rocksor wrote: Electric blue acaras are much smaller than hecklii or regular blue acara.

Really? I couldn't find too much definitive info on comparative max sizes apart from being about 6" for both types of blue acara.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: 165G: Oscar / Sev / Uaru / Heckelii / Elec Blue Acara ok?

EBA 4-6"

BA 6-8"

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds