Silver Dollars

• jsuthers
  • jsuthers's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

jsuthers created the topic: Silver Dollars

I have a group of 8 Silver dollars and some of them are showing FANTASTIC color! I just wanted to share this awesome photo of mine with it's mouth open!!

[/img]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Silver Dollars

silver dollars normally do not produce to much bioload... i should have learned it long time ago!

• jsuthers
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

jsuthers replied the topic: Silver Dollars

I wasn't expecting them to look so good! Even my SO likes their color and now my tank is no longer just "a pool of big slow moving fish"!

• askhammatt
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hi, im Matt, and im an Oscar addict.
  • Thank you received: 143

askhammatt replied the topic: Silver Dollars

beautiful photo... really healthy little SD

THQ replied the topic: Silver Dollars

Nice spotted SDs! Do they grow smaller than standard ones? I always found the standard ones a bit homogenous, so I like a bit of patterning.

Also, if you ever have the chance or funds to buy them, I would highly recommend striped SDs (metynnis fasciatus). They are stunning! My LFS stocks them but I would literally have to remortgage my house to buy a school of them.

THQ replied the topic: Silver Dollars

Also, this is off-topic, but I notice that you keep a gold saum with your oscar in your 280G. Are they fully grown? How are the aggression levels? That was my original plan in my tank but I heard green terror is too aggressive for oscar once fully grown. When people say gold saum these days I am assuming they are the same as "false" green terror (Aequidens/Andinoacara) rivulatus)? And now that "true" green terrors (Aequidens/Andinoacara Stalsbergi) are quite rare, when people say green terror they mean gold saum?

Cheers.

• jsuthers
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

askhammatt wrote: beautiful photo... really healthy little SD

Thanks! Healthy diet and school really helps I think :)

THQ wrote: Nice spotted SDs! Do they grow smaller than standard ones? I always found the standard ones a bit homogenous, so I like a bit of patterning.

Also, if you ever have the chance or funds to buy them, I would highly recommend striped SDs (metynnis fasciatus). They are stunning! My LFS stocks them but I would literally have to remortgage my house to buy a school of them.

Regular SD's are more elongated spotted are more football shaped. They might get slightly smaller but am unsure.

THQ wrote: Also, this is off-topic, but I notice that you keep a gold saum with your oscar in your 280G. Are they fully grown? How are the aggression levels? That was my original plan in my tank but I heard green terror is too aggressive for oscar once fully grown. When people say gold saum these days I am assuming they are the same as "false" green terror (Aequidens/Andinoacara) rivulatus)? And now that "true" green terrors (Aequidens/Andinoacara Stalsbergi) are quite rare, when people say green terror they mean gold saum?

Cheers.

Mannnnnnn I wish I had a 280! I actually have a 180 and plan to get a 300 eventually! They aren't fully grown currently but they seem to be somewhat ok together! They have their days when the Oscar gets beat up and then there are days when the Saum is missing scales! Every Gold Saum I have seen in stores (USA) has been labeled green terror.

Both Oscar and Saum leave the SD's alone and nobody messes with the Raphael! :)

Just realized my signature says 280....don't know how I messed that up. Looks like I need to fix that when I get home!

Me love Oscars replied the topic: Silver Dollars

Great looking fish! I have 5 of them, great fish

• jsuthers
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Thanks! How long did it take them to grow?

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.124 seconds