Anyone ever kept a saratoga/arowana with an oscar?

• THQ
  • THQ's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

THQ created the topic: Anyone ever kept a saratoga/arowana with an oscar?

OK, please don't think I'm crazy. I was in my LFS the other day and I saw that they had baby Scleropages Leichardti ("Lei's") in stock!! These are an "Aussie arowana" that go by many trade names: southern saratoga, red spotted arowana, etc.

TBH, I totally was not even thinking about keeping aro's as the one I think about, asian aros, are illegal here in Australia. But have always admired my uncle's one in Singapore when I was young. I never even knew there was such a thing as this creature, and its cousin the Jardini. Apparently they only become available in the summer months (here in the southern hemisphere), and I only started this hobby 8 months ago! Shows how much I know about my native fish! Now I may have to completely rethink my stocking list for my oscar tank!

I have done some research on them, much of it from the experience of others on MFK. They are similar to Asian arowanas, just not as beautiful or docile (or costly!). They can grow to 3 foot/90 cm+, but more like 2 feet/60 cm in the home aquarium. They are quite slender fish, weighing max of 4 kg/10 lbs, which is much less than jardinis or other arowanas. My 6x2x2 is the bare minimum required to keep an adult for life. They can be territorial and aggressive, though not as much as the jardinis. They will eat anything that fits into their massive trapdoor mouths. They can be skittish and are very strong jumpers, even more so than oscars. For tankmates, some people recommend keeping Leis with large semi-aggressive/aggressive CA/SA cichlids, and large armoured plecos, but very few people have direct experience, as this species is quite rare in LFS.

Thus my question.... anyone kept one of these beauties or any kind of arowana with an oscar and maybe sailfin pleco? Those are the only 2 tankmates I can think of. The pleco will be bottom dwelling and armoured, so hopefully will be ok. Did you have issues with aggression? What size tank? I am very interested. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Anyone ever kept a saratoga/arowana with an oscar?

No personal experience, but like yourself have read quite a bit on them. I would suggest that a 2ft(or more) fish of any kind should have a tank with a minimum 3ft width. Enough room to turn without injury would be the main concern. You may want to reconsider the Sailfin plec as well. You have room, but these plecs are filthy beasts and can just kill water quality. I have a big one with a huge Oscar in a 125g. 75% water change and serious gravel vac every 4- 5 days apart to keep good water. Try a smaller common plec that wont exceed a foot long. Still Oscar friendly, not so hard on water quality.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Anyone ever kept a saratoga/arowana with an oscar?

i had kept my DRACO (28" silver aro) with 3 full grown oscar (12-14"), 2 pangasius (28"), 1 gator (34") and knife fish (24") without any issue in more than 5 years

• THQ
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

THQ replied the topic: Anyone ever kept a saratoga/arowana with an oscar?

Woah! That is an awesome tank Draco! Do you mind me asking how big it was, dimensions and filtration? How often WCs? What happened to your aro?

it is a 220 gal tank (6ft x 30" x 24") fitted with planted DIY filtration.
i lost my silver aro by accident, i fell asleep while topping the tank with fresh water direct from the faucet. water was free flowing from 11:00 PM to 5:30 AM, it died due to chlorine poisoning! me bad

the same tank is now my oscar community tank housing 12 full grown oscars...

• THQ
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

THQ replied the topic: Anyone ever kept a saratoga/arowana with an oscar?

I'm sorry to hear that! You must have flooded your room as well! >.<
But 12 fully grown oscars in one tank must truly be a sight to behold! I am very interested in how you can keep your nitrates under control. Must be because of your plants. Do you use a sump refugium or something? I am keen on doing something similar, but I don't have a sump, so I am not sure how to go about it. How often do you need to do water changes? Do you have any links to your setup??

Thank you.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Anyone ever kept a saratoga/arowana with an oscar?

6x2x2 is the bare minimum until it hits past 18" in total length. A fish should not be able to touch the front and back of the tank when perfectly straight. I wouldn't keep one in a 180g for life.

With big fish you have to decide which fish can get injured, and which fish you do not want to get injured. A 180g is still a small tank, and in small spaces fish get more territorial.

i agree with Rocksor,... when fish is having a hard time turning around, that is not good for them thus, i decided to built a 350 gal tank for them... unfortunately, accident happened...

no, there is no flooding inside my house, most of my tanks are in the garage or laundry area... only one small tank (bichirs) is in my dining area.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds