Ideas needed

• MO2121
  • MO2121's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

MO2121 created the topic: Ideas needed

Long time reader, first time posting.

I recently got back in to this great hobby, and am torn (as a lot of us are) as to what I can do with my newest, and largest, aquarium.

I have a 60" x 25 7/8" x18" 125 gallon running an AquaTop AF-400 and a generic internal pump rated for 200 gph, but I plan on adding another canister around Spring. The stock is only a 3" Oscar and two, 2" female Convicts. Now what? I have thought about an Electric Blue JD and calling it quits for this tank, but nobody in my area has one right now, and won't until Spring. I looked at a GEO tonight, but it was about 6" and I really don't want to change to sand. That leaves Silver Dollars, but I really don't want any chance of offspring. Looked at a Rainbow shark (6") as well......he may come home with me tomorrow ;)

Anyway, sorry my first post is a rambling question that you have all been asked 1k times, but I need suggestions.

Thanks all!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 8

Vinny replied the topic: Re:Ideas needed

How about just some more convicts

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• MO2121
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

MO2121 replied the topic: Re:Ideas needed

Vinny wrote: How about just some more convicts

Thanks for the response, but I would like a little more variety.....a bunch of 3" female convicts would bore me after a while. As much as I would like to get an EB Jack Dempsey, I'm leaning towards 5 silver dollars and one rainbow shark.....and maybe one more female convict?

• Thank you received: 8

Vinny replied the topic: Re:Ideas needed

Not sure but I feel like that would be a little over stocked. I have a 125 as well and I know my options wherent the biggest. I had some silver dollars but now it's my O and 2 severums with a featherfin cat

• MO2121
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Vinny wrote: Not sure but I feel like that would be a little over stocked. I have a 125 as well and I know my options wherent the biggest. I had some silver dollars but now it's my O and 2 severums with a featherfin cat

Those are four nice choices you have......but they probably bring a high bio-load with them. The only reason I even thought of the silver dollars was due to their small footprint, so to speak.

• Thank you received: 55

theniceguy9112 replied the topic: Re:Ideas needed

If you'd like you could get a small school of pictus catfish. They don't need sand, and they school and move as a unit quite nicely at the bottom of the tank giving it a different kind of movement. They are one my favorite fish by far to keep. Not only do they look great, but they can make a seemingly "slow" tank really come to life!

• MO2121
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

I am done with my stocking......so long as they all make it. All are juveniles, and under 3" -

Tiger Oscar
Gold Severum
(2) Female Convicts
EB Acara
EB Jack Dempsey

I may need (want to anyway) to go to a 200 gallon in about a year, because I really like the mix I have. Thoughts anyone?

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Re:Ideas needed

Fish should be compatible in the right environment. First issue may be the Oscar rapidly outgrowing the rest and claiming territory. Blue Jack may suffer. They are a genetically weak fish, painfully slow growers. Do not respond well to any aggression or iffy water quality.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• MO2121
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Suprd71 wrote: Fish should be compatible in the right environment. First issue may be the Oscar rapidly outgrowing the rest and claiming territory. Blue Jack may suffer. They are a genetically weak fish, painfully slow growers. Do not respond well to any aggression or iffy water quality.

You read my mind.......I actually was thinking of taking the Oscar back to my LFS and waiting until summer to bring a new Oscar home. But for *now* they seem to all get along fine - but I realize that could change any minute. I did put two more pieces of drift wood and another big plant in to give the little blue a chance, but......

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Re:Ideas needed

Blue Jack is a very difficult fish to raise. They are prone to a host of issues. Blindness, deformities, weak immune systems. When I say slow growing, I mean barely noticeable. Oscar can do an inch a month for 9 months or so. BJ be lucky to do an inch in 9months. Any of your stock could be trouble for the Jack. Couple angry Convicts would polish him off right quick.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds