Another Oscar ?

• pupfishes
  • pupfishes's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

pupfishes created the topic: Another Oscar ?

Hi All,

My Oscar, "Tig" is about one year old, I've had him/her for about 9 months. Size is 7" and thick has grown about 5" since we first met. Superb speciman, great colors and personality. Tig likes to eat.

Tig has been by him/herself now for about 5 months and I've been considering getting Tig a friend but not sure I need to, or if that's necessarily a good idea. I would only get Tig another friend or two if this will make for a happier home. If I were to get any more fish, what size would ye'all suggest? I have a few tanks, so size is not a concern. Also, I have another tank juxtaposed to Tig's tank with a bunch of African Cichlids and they like to look at each other through the glass, so I think Tig likes them or wants to eat them? Maybe both?

Cheers All,

PF

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 8

Vinny replied the topic: Re:Another Oscar ?

Well what size tank is Tig in? That's what will determine the options as well as what kind of substrate.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• pupfishes
  • pupfishes's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

pupfishes replied the topic: Re:Another Oscar ?

The current tank is a 75Gal 48' x 18" x 21". with 20% water changes every 3 days.

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Re:Another Oscar ?

less bioload and active...school of silver dollar (5 pcs) is a good option...

• Thank you received: 24

Phantom replied the topic: Another Oscar ?

75 gallons is too small to add another oscar or any other cichlid. A 75 gallon is fine for 1 oscar only and once he approuches the 1 ft mark you will already be increasing by far the amount of water changes to keep the nitrates at an acceptable level. Also, with a 4 foot footprint of the 75 gallon, territory would be a major issue and the chances of the 2 oscars getting along are slim to none. Your oscar has also been the sole occupant of the tank and its his lol. Another tankmate will be seen as an intruder and he'll most likely fight to the death. I'd have to disagree with the school of silver dollars as well. Low bioload is still added bioload. IMO let the oscar live a happy life as the sole occupant of the 75 gallon.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.122 seconds