Researching Tank Mates While I Fishless Cycle

• Big_Chubbz
  • Big_Chubbz's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

Big_Chubbz replied the topic: Researching Tank Mates While I Fishless Cycle

Just got back from ACE Hardware where I picked up a gallon of ammonia clearly labeled 10% concentration. When I opened it, the scent was MUCH more pungent, so I am convinced that the stuff from Dollar Tree is super dilute (like 1% or less for 9mL to not even register).

I added 7.5mL of the stuff from ACE and will post back tomorrow.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Researching Tank Mates While I Fishless Cycle

Big_Chubbz wrote: Thanks for the heads up. @oscarguy99 recommends putting in a pinch at the beginning of the process and again once nitrites and nitrates get to high levels. As he states, to

...add nutrients and phosphates into the water that the bacteria like.

I see what you mean about the API test kit. I'll shoot for dosing between the 2-4 range colors since the next darker green is 8. As I mentioned in my previous post, I put almost 9mL of ammonia in yesterday, and today the kit shows ammonia at 0! Does ammonia lose potency on the shelf? I did add 118mL of Marineland® Total Care Aquarium Bacteria on Monday, but nitrites are also 0. This is my first time doing this, but that indicates to me, not that the bacteria ate the ammonia, but that I didn't put enough in. I assumed that it was 10% ammonia, but maybe it was 5% or even 3%? The bottle just said Pure Ammonia with no list of ingredients or concentration.

I attached pics of my water test (L-R: pH/HipH/NH3/NO2-) and the ammonia I bought at the Dollar Tree.

Any advice and opinions are welcome.

Did you shake the bottle of ammonia from the dollar store? Did it bubble up?

Fish food is not necessary for ammonia and nitrite consuming bacteria that you are trying to grow during the fishless cycle. Using fish food will grow heterotrophic bacteria that will compete against ammonia and nitrite consuming bacteria for space.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Big_Chubbz

• Big_Chubbz
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Thanks again for keeping an eye on my progress! It's nice to have someone who has done this stuff before helping me.

I did do the "shake test" on the cheap ammonia. I was standing in the aisle at the Dollar Tree googling the stuff on my phone in one hand while shaking it with the other. Passersby probably thought I was a little off! Like I said in one of my other posts, I have a lot of time on my hands. It passed the shake test, and there were no ingredients listed, so nothing to indicate there were any surfactants, perfumes, or other miscellaneous harmful ingredients.

The new stuff from ACE did the trick. I tested last night about a half hour after adding it, and it looked like it was between 2-4. I don't have a real good eye for color, but it definitely wasn't as dark as 8. I saved the vial so I can compare the color to today's test.

I will stop adding fish food. Speaking of food, it's time for lunch. I'll post back after I eat and test my water.

• Big_Chubbz
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

I just tested the water, and the ammonia level is unchanged. I'll post back when it starts dropping.

• Big_Chubbz
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Ammonia is down to 1ppm. I'm adding 5mL of ammonia, which should bring it back up to around 3.26 (if my calculations are accurate).

• Big_Chubbz
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

If you are following my cycling adventures, you will find all future updates in this thread.

I'll post back to this thread when I decide which fish to buy.

• Big_Chubbz
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

I managed to cycle my 65 gallon tank. It took 47 days. I'm heading to the fish store today or tomorrow. I decided to take the advice I received here, and I am not going to get an oscar. I just want to have more than one fish in the tank, and it seemed clear that the ideas that I had were way too much bioload for my tank.

Here's the list:

12 Glo-Tetras (3")
3 Clown Loach (12")

When full grown, that'll be 72" of fish (admittedly an overstock), but from what I've read, the loaches grow very slowly. What appealed to me most about an oscar was nurturing a small fish and watching it get HUGE! Hopefully, the loaches will satisfy that desire, and since they grow more slowly, it will be a while before the tank reaches capacity. This will give me time to get a handle on everything that I'll need to do to keep them healthy.

I won't be going to the store until later this evening or tomorrow, so if this new list is not a good idea, please let me know. I welcome any and all feedback.

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Researching Tank Mates While I Fishless Cycle

I would make it 5 or more CL. Obviously will vastly outgrow the tank, but big CL usually command a good buck. Sell them off in a couple years or more. CL are prone to problems in iffy water. Keep it very clean.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Big_Chubbz

• Big_Chubbz
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

I ended up getting 5 loaches, 9 glo tetras, and 6 glo danios.

They are all super tiny and seem to be enjoying their new home. Thanks to everyone for their help!

• Thank you received: 2

bland replied the topic: Researching Tank Mates While I Fishless Cycle

Jealous of your glo fish. The are illegal over here.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds