Adding a second oscar

• tonythetiger
  • tonythetiger's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

tonythetiger created the topic: Adding a second oscar

so today I added a second Oscar to a pretty established 120g tank. First the tank held a 3.5-4 inch tiger Oscar a juvie green terror 2 inch, a 3 inch jack Dempsey and a small school of silver dollars I added a 4 inch albino Oscar. Right away my tiger Oscar sized him up and they got into a fight lip locking tail flapping and the such. It seams the new albino won the battle for dominance cause every time he goes near the tiger the tiger seems to submit to him. The albino kinda flares up and the tiger kinda flops sideways the albino won't really attack tiger at this point yet. Now does this seem like a recipe for disaster yet I have 14 days to return him. He hasn't shown much a aggression towards the other smaller cichlids yet just regular flex your muscles stuff. All help and advice is appreciated

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Adding a second oscar

It sounds as if the new addition has accepted that the other Oscar is the boss of the tank. In cases like this the fish often get on because they know where they stand in hierarchy. As long as there's no aggression with fish being injured then you should be okay.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• tonythetiger
  • tonythetiger's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

tonythetiger replied the topic: Adding a second oscar

OFL wrote: It sounds as if the new addition has accepted that the other Oscar is the boss of the tank. In cases like this the fish often get on because they know where they stand in hierarchy. As long as there's no aggression with fish being injured then you should be okay.

Thanks but I think you got it backwards I think the old Oscar excepts the new guy as the boss "albinos the new guy" I just did a water change and rearranged a bit and now they seem to be hanging out together. They will rub up against each other like a cat would lol what does that mean

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Adding a second oscar

Submission.

Cichlid hierarchy will continually change all the fish age.

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: Adding a second oscar

Regardless of aggression or not, you have overstocked your tank. The slow growth rate of GT and JD will keep the tank in fairly good standing for a while, but even 2 big Oscars alone will stretch the limits of a 120. In less than 2yrs you will need a bigger tank, not even counting the extra Oscar.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds