Tandanus Catfish and Oscar ?

• Chilli
  • Chilli's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Chilli created the topic: Tandanus Catfish and Oscar ?

Hey guys
Was just wondering people's thoughts on a tandanus catfish and a Oscar living together I have a Tiger oscar in a 125 gallon tank no tank mates almost a year old around 15cm, I went to my LFS and they have a tandanus catfish for sale probably around the 20cm mark, so abit bigger then my Oscar. One of my concerns was the barbs on the catfish aswell, LFS said fish could live together just depends on my Oscar temperament
Keen to hear your thoughts
Cheers !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Tandanus Catfish and Oscar ?

I have had various catfish over the years including a Claris catfish which is probably about the closest to what you have got. I don't think you'll have any problems whatsoever because you'll probably find the catfish will be more active during the night time. The only thing that worries me slightly as tank size, these catfish can get quite big so you will have to have very good filtration

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Tandanus Catfish and Oscar ?

I had to look that up, and seeing a possible size of almost 3ft and 15lbs, I would suggest a standard 125 is grossly undersized. For a tankmate you could look into some of the fancier plecos. Avoid the commons and Sailfins, too big and killer on water quality. Striped Raphael Cat is quite common and a good Oscar tankmate as well.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Tandanus Catfish and Oscar ?

I don't think they get much bigger than around 45 cm in captivity Dave. It's a little bit like the Claris catfish that I had, they can also get really big, but they don't normally get that big in captivity. But I have to agree with you, a lot of these catfish are not suitable for standard aquariums and I would avoid people to avoid them.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Chilli
  • Chilli's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Chilli replied the topic: Tandanus Catfish and Oscar ?

Thanks for your input guys, I did read about the catfish size but I tend to agree with OFL about them not growing to big in captivity. I will check with my LFS next time I'm in there, you don't reckon the barbs could harm the Oscar ? Read on another forum that an Oscar got stung and rubbed his side on logs for the rest of the day...
Not sure worth it

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds