75 gallon tank with 2 oscars

• sammie
  • sammie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

sammie created the topic: 75 gallon tank with 2 oscars

I have a 75 gallon tank I set up about a week and a half ago. It had been years since I had an aquarium. I'm not sure that my tank was even cycled before I added some fish. I wasn't aware that a tank needed cycled until they were already living in there for a couple days. They seem to be doing fine though. I have 1 tiger oscar and 1 red albino. 2 venustus cichlids. And 3 electric yellow labs (which I'm taking back this weekend).

I have two questions. Is the 75 large enough to house 2 oscars when they get big? I know I will eventually have to move the venustus cichlids out of there because there will not be room.

Also, I heard carbon can cause hole in the head. Is that true?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: 75 gallon tank with 2 oscars

Hello and welcome. 75g is good for 1 only Oscar. Will be too small for a large adult. Do not mix Africans with South Americans. Yes, carbon has been linked to hith. Test your water and do frequent water changes until you are cycled. While returning the labs, return the Giraffe cichlids and 1 Oscar as well.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• sammie
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

sammie replied the topic: 75 gallon tank with 2 oscars

Thanks for responding suprd71 I appreciate it.

The fish store said I could have all those fish together in a 75. I am beginning to see its just a reason for them to sell me more fish I presume.

Would it be physically impossible to maintain good water quality to house 2 adult oscars in a 75? I'm going to get the African cichlids out for sure.

Quick answer is yes you can have good water in an overstocked tank. Change it every day. Several over riding issues that say you should not. Have you ever seen a really big Oscar? Well over a foot long and over 2lbs? The sight of 1 only in a 75 says to even a novice fish keeper thats not right. Getting 2 Oscars to live together peacefully is very difficult, even in 200g tanks. Oscar is, like most cichlids an aggressive territorial being. It requires space of its own and lots of it. Stress from overcrowding, or even being alone in an inadequate tank will lead to health issues. There are many Oscar keepers, myself included that have very large fish in 6ft tanks in the 125-150 g range. I have a 14in Oscar in a 125 and a 15in Jaguar cichlid in a 180g. Fish are alone, very healthy and happy. Both specimens make a seemingly large aquarium look small. Neither would do very well in a 4ft 75g tank. Two of adult size would not live full lives, nor reach their potential of growth, color or longevity. I also have a pair of adult Oscars in a 180g tank. They are not monsters, 11-12ins each. I wouldnt keep them in anything smaller. To simply sum up... dont do it.

• sammie
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Okay, thank you for your informative feedback.

So you said being alone in an inadequate space can be a risk for health problems. Can I continue to have 1 oscar in this 75? Or would it be at risk for health problems as it got bigger?

If i was to keep both oscars, How long could I keep them in this 75 until I had to move them to a larger tank?

A single Oscar will be cramped in 75g at about a foot long, 1-2yrs old. 2 in there, provided they dont fight will be short on space at 5-6ins each. A quality diet and pristine water will be priority.

• sammie
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Well I took all the African cichlids back. I was able to use some of that money for a nice piece of drift wood and some other supplies. Right now I'm feeding "omega one super color cichlid pellets." Do you recommend feeding anything else in conjunction to this for a well rounded diet? Also, I have some Seachem Purigen, would it be beneficial to put this in my filter?

O1 are good pellets. You should throw some variety at the fish as well. Treats like freeze dried krill, bloodworm. Live earthworms, mealworms, crickets. Raw shrimp and fish chunks. An omnivore, Oscar requires significant veg content in his diet. A good veg based pellet, kelp, seaweed should be in the mix. Try some fruit pieces. Orange, banana. Try a piece of green pepper here and there. Purigen has a purpose, but dont think it as a substitute or delay for water changes

• S.S.
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • "Failure is giving anything less than your best"
  • Thank you received: 15

S.S. replied the topic: Re:75 gallon tank with 2 oscars

Are you mesurimg amónia and no2? Dont overfeed and control those items while cycling. A burst on those two may kill them in hours.

"TapatalKing"

• sammie
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

sammie replied the topic: Re:75 gallon tank with 2 oscars

I have an api ammonia test kit and am waiting for my api master kit in the mail.

But this morning my ammonia was .25. And on my test strips the nitrites was between "caution" and "stress". It's hard to match the colors on the strips.

I'm going to do a water change today. I plan on doing a 50% water change. I also picked up some Seachem prime, which I am going to use also.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds