Help! Oscar is being overly agressive to my new silver dollar gro

• Flapjack
  • Flapjack's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Flapjack created the topic: Help! Oscar is being overly agressive to my new silver dollar gro

Hello, I have a problem and I hope there is something you guys and girls can suggest that will solve it. I will start from the beginning. I purchased a oscar from persmart a little less than a month ago at 2 inches. Shortly after purchasing him I placed him in an empty cycled 105g 48x18x28 aquarium. The aquarium has fine sand and four medium sized pieces of driftwood in it. He has been great in the large aquarium by himself. Tons of personality, he would follow your finger and let us hand feed him. My girlfriend even pet him yestersay. Today our oscar is 3.75 inches. After much research on suitable tank mates I ordered five 4" wild caught myleus red hook silver dollars and they arrived today. I did a water change, rearranged the tank and slowly acclimated the dollars. After releasing the dollars into the aquarium our oscar starting biting the dollars over and over again to the point where I could see scales floating all throughout the aquarium. I removed the oscar and placed him in a bucket for about 20 minutes and reintroduced him. At first he was not attacking the dollars but after about 5 minutes in he was biting them again. I removed him again and placed him in a cycled 10g aquarium. My girlfriend and I really love our oscar and we love our new red hooks too! Is there anything I can do to encourage them to get along?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Help! Oscar is being overly agressive to my new silver dollar gro

No, there isn't anything you can do with your current tank to make them play nice. They might get along better in a 6 foot 180g tank, but for now, the oscar has claimed the whole tank as its territory. Re-arranging the tank or even timeouts like you did will not change the oscar's attitude. If you keep removing the oscar, it will get stressed out and chances of getting sick go up. So either get a longer tank or separate them permanently.

• Flapjack
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Flapjack replied the topic: Help! Oscar is being overly agressive to my new silver dollar gro

Thank you for the reply and advice. I built a tank divider, it hurt us too much to see him in the 10 gallon. I have read online that if you keep your oscar well fed the chances of him being agressive go down. Any truth to that?

• Thank you received: 254

DRACO replied the topic: Help! Oscar is being overly agressive to my new silver dollar gro

in my case... i always want many oscars... so i built big tank and dump many of them at different times and sizes...
believe me... no aggression ... the 12" oscar protect and rear the 3" new comer...

the pic in my signature was a test... today, they are all full grown..

the equation is.... big tank + many fish = less aggression

• Flapjack
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Flapjack replied the topic: Help! Oscar is being overly agressive to my new silver dollar gro

Thank you for the reply. I am looking into getting a larger tank so my red hooks and oscar will get along. I have a oceanic 105 and a Ocean view 75, hopefully I can trade somebody locally for a longer tank. Say I get a 125g 6ft tank. Do you think the five red hooks and the oscar will play nice? Or do you recommend adding another oscar or something else? I love my oscar but I don't think I would want more than two. They are such messy eaters. I swear my oscar gets less than half of the pellet he is trying to eat.

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Help! Oscar is being overly agressive to my new silver dollar gro

Red Hook SD get rather large. The 125 will be someday crowded. Another Oscar def not. The 6ft 180 with a 2ft width would serve you better

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Flapjack
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Thank you for the reply. I am going to try and get a 125g long as soon as possible. When the fish get larger I will cross that bridge then and get a 180g. As of right now and many attempts to get them to play nice. He is behaving wonderfully. I used a tank divider for 24 hrs and fed him well. I did a waterchange and rescaped my aquarium by positioning my driftwood for optimum block in line of sight and added a big centerpiece. Sauron is acting like he did when he had the tank to himself and is even swimming with the shoal at times. Here are a few pics for your enjoyment. I am very relieved they are getting along. I hope it lasts :)

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds