Identify tank mate please

• Snaggs
  • Snaggs's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Snaggs created the topic: Identify tank mate please

Hi guys/girls

So I'm new here and need some help, I bought my tiger Oscar "Odin" from a local aquatic centre 3 weeks ago, my partner loved a blue fish that was in the tank also with the oscars. But knowing I was wanting two other oscars I was a little reluctant. However speaking to an assistant he informed me it was a Blue Acara knowing these were semi aggressive I agreed.

Since then I have another albino tiger Oscar and a wild Oscar. The "blue Acara" is very aggressive attacking the albino and the wild....

To add to this when I seeded the tank I used some tetra's and phantom the "blue Acara" killed all these.

Is this fish in my tank a blue Acara or female Green Terror???

http://[URL=http://s1262.photobucket.com/user/tonywhitehead29/media/6207ABDE-4F7A-4F28-AF13-EBEA3EF0244A_zpspolmwnee.jpg.html][IMG][img]http:// [IMG]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: Identify tank mate please

Hello and welcome to OFL. That fish looks like a mutt of sorts. Maybe has a little Jack Dempsey in it? All fish from LFS labeled Acara or Green Terror are iffy as to true identity. Your main issue may be territory, or lack of. 3 Oscars and the mystery Acara... what size tank is this?

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Snaggs
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Snaggs replied the topic: Identify tank mate please

Hi thanks for reply,

My tank when I bought it I believed to be 350 litres, but since filling the tank as I wasn't convinced it was only that capacity.

In fact it's around 119 gallon which is 453 litres the tank is 4ft width 2ft depth and 2ft high.

I have ordered a 6ft tank and currently paying this off which I should receive around January 17 once I have cleared the account.

So tank space I believe is not an issue, filtration the filter is 1400 litres per hr so have that covered I believe, all perimeters are 0 I do have a slight rise in nitrates on 4th day reading around 2.5 then I do a 20 - 30% water change....

I also Hoover gravel every evening after feeding, and replace the water removed whist cleaning.

Thanks Snaggs

Ok.. what you believe or perceive to be adequate space and filtration is really not. You have a realistic 25gals per fish. An Oscar requires at least 60g for itself, even when small. While 120gals is not a tiny tank, it isnt much when housing Oscars. The 4ft length is also restrictive. By mid January you could have 8-9in fish, provided someone doest kill someone else. Filter gph rate is secondary to bio media capacity. I assure you, you need about 4x what you have. Quality canister or two for bio, large capacity or 2 hob for mechanical. You are on a good path cleaning substrate, but water change volume needs to be upward of 75%. If everyone makes it until the next tank comes, you will have upped your water changes to a minimum of twice a week and the recommended 75% volume. What I would really suggest is for you to keep 2 Oscars that seem to get along, rehome the other 2 fish. I believe you will have all kinds of issues trying to make this work another 5 months

• Snaggs
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Thank you for your advice, I'm looking to rehome the blue imposter and monitor the behaviour of my oscars, as they seem to be getting on well.

If 2 pair off I will look to keep them or the two with the best temperament

Also sorry my filter is a large canister, is this still not enough?? Do I require a 2nd large canister even though the one I Have is recommended for a tank twice the size I have??

Thank you for all the advice

Filter ratings dont apply to tanks holding large messy cichlids. You need what some call excessive filtration. Especially with Oscars. After some plecos, Oscars may be the messiest fish in the hobby. What is exactly the filter you are running?

• Snaggs
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

All pond solution AQUARIUM EXTERNAL FILTER 2000 L/H + 9W

Is what I'm running, I know it's won't be running at 2000 L/H working on around 1400 L/H

I can add extra filtration if needed.

I also have a internal filter running to polish the water

You still have less than 4x tank volume turnover. Easiest and most economical way to improve your set up is to add a pair of Aquaclear 110 hobs. Run stock sponge and as much ceramics as the compartment will hold. Powerful, quiet and reliable. I have about a dozen here, some many years old. All run perfectly.

• Snaggs
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Thanks for all the advice I had looked into getting the Aquaclear 110 but there so expensive here in the uk. I would be looking at £190 each :(

If there is an equivalent one sold for slightly less in the uk I would get one tomorrow!!

But just had a baby boy this week so all money being spent on him by the Mrs's lol

• Snaggs
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Suprd71 I now have a FX5 running and a nitrate reactor, will this filtration be sufficient until January when I upgrade my tank??

I still have my original filtration running alongside and before adding reactor and FX5 my water perimeters were almost perfect in my eyes with nitrate rising on the 4th day to 5.0 No3 -N mg/l (ppm).

I'm feeding home made food of sweet potato, spinach, salmon, cod, prawns blended and then frozen, I feed that twice a day with Hikari Gold being the third meal.

Each morning I hoover gravel and evening I do the same and add around 40L of clean water.

I still have some aggression only after feeding.
All fish look healthy and do there little dance every time I move near the tank

Thanks for all the advice

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds