110gallons Oscar+ silver dollar?

• PeG
  • PeG's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

PeG created the topic: 110gallons Oscar+ silver dollar?

am plannimg to go back to having an Oscar in a 110 gallon tank and I am thinking about possible tank mates. My two current options are either a group of silver dollars (not sure about how many that would be good) or possibly 1-2 redspotted heros notatus ( My wifes preferens option) but I am currently thinking that the first option would be preferred. Any input?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: 110gallons Oscar+ silver dollar?

My personal choice would be a small group of silver dollars. They are non-aggressive, will give movements your tank and are just great fish, love them.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• S.S.
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • "Failure is giving anything less than your best"
  • Thank you received: 15

S.S. replied the topic: Re:110gallons Oscar+ silver dollar?

Just a problem with sds they are herbivorous but they eat all food. From 7 I'm stuck with only four the other 3 where killed by the remaining sds.

"Tapatalking"

• Thank you received: 9

muddybear replied the topic: Re:110gallons Oscar+ silver dollar?

Make sure SDs are big enough-I had 8 in my 150 with Oscar, 2 left (rookie error). The remaining 2 now live in 75 with smaller Oscar-would love and will get some more. They will absolutely destroy your plants though. I've had no issues with Oscars and plants but SDs tear through them in no time.

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: Re:110gallons Oscar+ silver dollar?

My opinion is that 110 is very tight for Oscar and a school of rowdies like SD. Tight for Oscar plus anything, actually. Have you ever owned or seen a large Oscar? 14ins and over a kilogram in weight? Thats a big fish, and while a hundred or so gallon tank may be a fair size, its really not much for XL cichlids. My recommendation would be to keep a single Oscar alone, grow it big, keep it healthy and happy for its expected long life

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• PeG
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

PeG replied the topic: 110gallons Oscar+ silver dollar?

I used to have a large Oscar in the same tank size 20+ years ago and he actually had more company. I got those fishes with that tank from a friend for 0 cost. If I remember right it was maybe a 12 inch Oscar, a 6-7 inch JD, a breeding pair of false GTs and a single convict. Lots of work with water changes but no aggressions. Had to sell that tank when I moved in with my wife.

• PeG
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Just remeasured my tank and looked at my calculations and IT is actually larger. The tank is 150x70x50 cm which is 525 liters which id slightly below 140 gallons

Suprd71 replied the topic: 110gallons Oscar+ silver dollar?

Your volume is decent, but footprint is less than ideal. A 200cm length would afford more swimspace for Oscar plus friend(s). I give this as my opinion only, and I base that on many decades of Oscar keeping, with about 2 dozen Oscars over that period. I currently have 6. I certainly wont say you cant do it, or it wont work, but still going to be tight with slightly less than 5ft of tank length.

• PeG
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Ok, site says that 55 gallon or at least 75 gallon is good for a single Oscar and those are clearly not 2 meters long so 140 gallon should work even if the proportions are not ideal.

What about the original question. For a 140 gallon tank with one Oscar what would be a good number of silver dollars to keep Jim company? The Idea would be to add the silver dollars to the multispinosas that are currently in the tank and wait for them to grow bigger. A number of months into the future I would add a small Oscar and remove the multispinosas.

Suprd71 replied the topic: 110gallons Oscar+ silver dollar?

SD should be a minimum of 5, with 8 being more comfortable for them.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.145 seconds