Snails and Oscar's

• Joshuaharestad
  • Joshuaharestad's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Joshuaharestad created the topic: Snails and Oscar's

Hi All!

I am new to the site and a new Oscar owner. I have an Oscar and a pleco in a 55 gallon, I know I'll need to upgrade, both are very small right now. I'm thinking of returning the pleco to the pet store to reduce the bioload so I don't have to get such a monster tank. I was wondering about people's luck with snails and Oscar's. I put a few mystery snails in the tank, all about a centimeter to a half inch wide. The oscar has pecked a few times but mostly ignored them, though he did distinctly go for an antennae once. I've hear some people have oscars that ignore them and other that nibble, can't seem to figure out which kind mine is going to be.

I'd like something that cleans algae, but am willing to accept I may just have to deal with it. Has anyone had luck keeping snails with Oscars? Did the Oscar's peck a few times inquisitively at any point? What about when the snails die and are replaced with smaller ones? Did the Oscar then eat the smaller ones, and if it does is it going to hurt the oscar? Or is it easier to just clean the algae? Sorry for all the questions, just looking for a good solution. Thanks!
Joshua

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

DRACO replied the topic: Snails and Oscar's

long time ago... i had keep an snail with fh ... not an oscar... i lost my fh when the fh decided to take the scargot of the snail and died for indigestion!

• Joshuaharestad
  • Joshuaharestad's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Joshuaharestad replied the topic: Snails and Oscar's

That is good information to have. Thank you!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds