Silver Dollars

• Joshuaharestad
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Joshuaharestad created the topic: Silver Dollars

So I put three silver dollars in with my O. They were definitely too small and he thinks they look tasty, but he can't seem to catch em. He has, but they get loose from him. I thought he had one but he couldn't swallow it and it broke free, now it seems fine and he seems reluctant to actually grab them now. I made them some hiding holes till they grow a bit bigger. I was considering putting them in a different tank till they grow more, but the O seems to only halfheartedly be chasing them at this point and I'm worried they'll grow to slowly in a smaller tank. They survived all night. I know they'd be safer and less stressed in another tank, but then I'm worried my O will see them as a threat when I reintroduce. I'm wondering if eventually he'll lose interest since he can't actually fit them in his mouth. He's not relentlessly chasing them at this point, more like he instinctively chases when they run. It's not the end of the world to me if they don't make it. The O is the priority. But I'm hoping they will survive and grow big enough to not look like food and I'd really prefer if they did so with the O so he gets used to the idea of sharing turf. None of the fish are very big yet, so there's lots of space for the SD's to get away and hide and be left alone. Any thoughts on this? Do you think the O will eventually accept that he can't eat them. He's still eating pellets when offered, and doing his normal tank patrol, only occasionally chasing one for a few seconds and then giving up.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Joshuaharestad
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Joshuaharestad replied the topic: Silver Dollars

So I've left the SD's in the tank and they are still alive. The oscar leaves them alone about 95% of the time now. If he does chase its barely at all then he gives up. A couple times they were both out in the open and ignored each other. My hope is that as the SD's grow bigger they'll look less like food. The oscar doesn't seem to be bothered by their presence at all. I'm knocking on wood but I think the SD's were just on the razors edge of being big enough. A more aggressive Oscar probably would have killed them by this point. I will update what happens.

• Joshuaharestad
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

I abandoned it and pulled them out. The oscar started going after them aggressively again and for their sake, even though they could get away, I didn't want them to die of heart attacks. I am taking them to a fish store and getting larger ones instead.

• Joshuaharestad
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

I replaced the three small silver dollars with two larger ones. My oscar is still being a bit of a bully to them, but they're big enough to not be in any real danger from it. Hoping that with some time they'll establish territories in the tank and get along. He seems to be chasing them more, but they are also hanging out in the center of the tank whereas the little ones spent most of their time hiding.

• Thank you received: 599

Suprd71 replied the topic: Silver Dollars

SD do generally make good tankmates for Oscar. Couple of things to make more compatible.... tank size and fish numbers. SD are a schooling fish and do best in a minimum of 5, more optimal is 8+. Then there is tank size. 6ft tanks of 150+ gals for an adult Oscar and a proper school of SD.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Joshuaharestad
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Thank you for the info!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 2.932 seconds