Sulking Oscar Pleas Help

• jacko
  • jacko's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

jacko created the topic: Sulking Oscar Pleas Help

Hi, I did have 2 Oscars 25cm long about 8 years old. They have been together since they were just a couple of inches long.

We had to euthanize the male Oscar due to ill health and the female is sulking badly. We have bought her a salmon tail catfish as we were told that another Oscar might start a war.

Does anyone have any suggestions to make her a little happier, I have tried her with all her favorite food and she refuses to eat (not eaten for days now). She just sits in one corner of the tank looking sad.

Help please! :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bella replied the topic: Re:Sulking Oscar Pleas Help

The same happend to a friend of mine so she went and bought another oscar ,a little smaller and the same sex as the one that died,they paired up straight away and have since layed eggs.
But it might be trial and error not all oscars will like each other or they may take a few weeks to get along :)

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Re:Sulking Oscar Pleas Help

Sorry to hear about your Oscar. I would just give her a little bit of time, she will come round. Salmon tail catfish can get quite big so that probably wasn't the best fish to get unfortunately. Also, being a completely different species, they probably won't even bother with each other. Personally, I don't see any problem in getting another Oscar, I did and they have paired up. I had two Oscars and the big male tiger died leaving the female. She didn't show any signs of distress so I think it's individual Oscars the act strange when these things happen. I don't actually think that fish have evolved enough to show these type of emotions. Try and find an Oscar that is around four or 5 inches long and introduce it into your tank. It's worth a try, you may be surprised when they get together, especially if the one you buy is a male.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• jacko
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

jacko replied the topic: Re:Sulking Oscar Pleas Help

Thankyou for your comments, it is interesting you say another oscar is accepted, everyone we talked to said don’t put another oscar in the tank.
It is funny that shortly after I posted my message she started to rip up the plastic plants we put in the tank to distract her from the other fish. This is perfectly normal behaviour for her and we gave up putting plants in the tank years ago as they only lasted five minutes. I think she is on the mend.
Do you think we should still try for another oscar?
She did attempt to lay eggs with her mate, although he was an over zealous housekeeper and every time a hatchling fell from their breeding stone he would pick it up with a mouthful of gravel and end up burying all the other hatchlings. The female got so mad at him they ended up fighting over it and the eggs were forgotten.
thankyou again

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

Yes, Oscars can be rather funny and do rather act like husband and wife as well as little children when they won't eat their food. Who told you not to put any more Oscars in? Sorry, but I don't agree with that at all. I have done and it worked out perfectly. It's the same with any creature, it is all trial and error. You may already have a cat and a dog and then go out and buy another one and they don't get along. It is same with an Oscar, you can't guarantee that they will get along but then again they might get along like a house on fire. You will only know until you try.

As for them shovelling gravel, this is quite normal. Normally they do that before laying eggs. What happens is, when the Fry hatch, they don't swim straight away, they are transferred into little pits that the Oscars have made in the substrate. After couple of days they start summing. Your Oscars were probably getting it the wrong way round or something like that. It is quite common for Oscars to fail on their first few occasions of trying to breed.

• jacko
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

We are in country western Australia and phoned all the fish shops in our area, they unanimously told us to get the catfish as she would not accept another oscar.

The catfish is only 20cm long, sounds quite large but it is much narrower then the oscar so looks small. I just wanted her to have something else in the tank to interest her, even if it was just a distraction more than interaction.

I would like her to have company of her own kind if we can so might try to get hold of another male oscar. It has been good to get the encouraging feedback from you about this.

• jacko
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

We have a 6 foot tank, with 2 heaters and 2 power filters. Is this ok to get another oscar and keep the catfish?

The catfish is quite active and adds interest to the tank, so would like to keep it if we can.

Ultimately we want to do what is best for our female oscar. She is quite a character and we are very fond of her.

I understand that she is a fish and doesn’t have highly evolved emotions, but we do, It was heartbreaking to have to euthanize her mate.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

Sounds like you have got quite a big tank and your filtration sounds adequate. I always think it's a good idea to run two filters anyway. Salmon tail catfish can reach 3 feet. However, I am led to believe that they normally only reach around 30 cm in captivity so I don't suppose it will hurt keeping it. By all means get another Oscar but do keep a close eye on the water conditions. I have got quite a few fish in my tank (due to the fact that I kept taking waifs and strays of other people :laugh: ) I was getting a little worried about what the water would be like but to my surprise, it only rises to between 30 and 40 ppm at the end of the week so that's okay as long as you do the water change once a week. You will have to do the same.

I get quite a few people from Australia on here, obviously fish keeping is popular over there, I know fishing is. One day I would like to visit Australia.

• jacko
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Woke this morning to find our beautiful female dead!

Totally shocked, she looked fine last night and even stated to rearrange the tank, like she used to.

Clean skin, bright eyes, swimming normally…I have no idea what it could have been. The catfish looks fine. I have examined her all over and can’t find anything.

Very sad…big tank…no fish. (except a catfish)

Thankyou for all your advice and help.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

Really sorry to hear that. This might be an obvious question but have you checked the water. Ammonia/nitrite/nitrate, although I wouldn't think nitrate would have anything to do with the fish's death. Sometimes fish die and there is absolutely no external symptoms to say why they did. I think you told me, but I can't remember how old the fish was. In certain cases, like people who keep koi carp, they would have an autopsy done. This is normally because all the other fish are worth many thousands of pounds and it's a good idea to find out what is wrong. I don't suppose we will ever know why your fish died. Better luck next time.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds