Sulking Oscar Pleas Help

• jacko
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

jacko replied the topic: Re:Sulking Oscar Pleas Help

Our oscars were 9 or 10 years old. Hard to remember when we got them. The water was fine, we did a big water change when we euthanized the male oscar, and really because he was not well, we were constantly checking the water to make sure this was not contributing to his illness.

We were never really sure what was wrong with him, he seemed a little deformed about his head, years ago he did suffer a hole in the head episode, which was successfully treated. We always put his strange appearance down to this, over the years it became more obvious and he started to lay on his side, particularly on the filter. Recently he was laying on his side more and more, we couldn’t find any other external problems and water checking was the only other thing we could do for him. Eventually he stopped eating, and the very difficult decision to euthanize him.

My daughter is a bit of a water fanatic since years ago when we had a smaller tank, and less filtration, the Oscars had recurring minor problems and she became fervent with her water checking. She not only checks the ph but also the kh and nitrate.

An autopsy is out, as I said before we are in the country so finding someone who know anything other than how to fillet fish would be near impossible.

I guess we will never know, still shocked, she looked so well apart from not eating, which, as I now know is usual when changes are made.
Sorry for the long posts…but if anything here can help anyone else, it’s all good.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jacko
  • jacko's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

oops! forgot to logon, the last post was me...jacko

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: Re:Sulking Oscar Pleas Help

Don't worry about the long post, and areas always something there to help someone else. The lifespan of an Oscar is actually 10-15 years so there may be actually nothing wrong with the Oscar that died, he could just have gone a little earlier, just like people go sometimes. I think you did very well to have them that long, shows you looks after them properly

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Visitor
  • Visitor

............. replied the topic: Re:Sulking Oscar Pleas Help

6 ft tank... that should be 125 gallons.
so since one oscar needs 55 gals each you got 70 gallons left.
you could put another oscar but thats a hit or miss suggestion
they may get along well or they may attack eachother.

Edit

The forum is open to guests as well as members but I would appreciate it if guests would use a username. I would also ask people to refrain from using this forum to advertise other forums. If you would like to suggest a website for the links page, please do and I will consider it

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

............. wrote:

6 ft tank... that should be 125 gallons.
so since one oscar needs 55 gals each you got 70 gallons left.
you could put another oscar but thats a hit or miss suggestion
they may get along well or they may attack eachother.

Edit

The forum is open to guests as well as members but I would appreciate it if guests would use a username. I would also ask people to refrain from using this forum to advertise other forums. If you would like to suggest a website for the links page, please do and I will consider it

Just because the tank is 6 foot long, doesn't mean it is 125 gallons. It could be 3 foot high and 2 1/2 feet wide, that would make it considerably more than 125 gallons

• jacko
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

I didn’t appreciate this guys comments either, he obviously didn’t read all the posts, otherwise he would see his comments were inappropriate seeing the big Oscars are both dead!

Fishing around for someone to visit his site maybe???

We are thinking about how to set up our next oscar tank, with 10 years of oscar keeping under our belts now we won’t be making some of the mistakes we made the first time around.

• jacko
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

While I am on the subject of websites, not wanting to run too far off topic, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you Penn for setting up this website. A lot of effort has gone into it and it works really well. You have it well laid out with plenty of useful interesting information.

We had fun yesterday watching your videos and remembering our 2 beautiful Oscars (that’s if you can call an oscar beautiful!).

I teach web design at our local TAFE so I do know a little about the subject, and you are doing a great job. I am saying this now as I know not many people take the time to tell you when you are doing it well.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

I look forward to seeing your new tank and Oscars at some stage. Thanks for the kind comments, it is a hobby for me. I absolutely adored messing around with computers and this is one of eight websites I run. I got a bit addicted to them. I have got two more to do, one for my ex-girlfriend and I'm going to be doing one for a tackle shop soon.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.096 seconds