NEED HELP ON SETTNG UP NEW 150 GALLON TANK

• Joey
  • Joey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Joey created the topic: NEED HELP ON SETTNG UP NEW 150 GALLON TANK

hey, i just purchased a new 150 gallon tank for my new basment, i have two oscars now, one red and one tiger each about 5 inches. i know that i can have a lot of fun with a 150 gallon tank so i want to know what would be good to put inthere with them. Personally i would like something that is odd like an eel. But any fish that can add to the apperance of my tank will work. any suggestions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Re:NEED HELP ON SETTNG UP NEW 150 GALLON TANK

Welcome to the website/forum. If you have a look at the Oscar tankmates page that will give you a few tips on tankmates for Oscars. Obviously, I haven't tried every fish with an Oscar and I don't suppose there are many people who have so a lot of the time it is trial and error. The rule of thumb is to be wary of other cichlids and choose them very carefully. Some cichlids work, some others might not. Cichlids can be very aggressive so mixing different species could cause problems. Silver dollars a nice addition to a tank and give a little bit of colour and movement. Clown loaches are also very nice. There are various catfish that you can get. Be very careful with these, don't for instance go for something like a walking catfish (Claris catfish) these can reach 2 feet in length and don't like eating other fish. You should be looking at things like pictus catfish or Syndontis catfish, catfish in that type of family. They don't get much more than six or 7 inches and make excellent tankmates for Oscars. Like I said, look at the tankmates page. I'm sure there are other people on here who will be able to advise you as well, please people :lol:

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Thank you received: 0

cbh77brown replied the topic: Re:NEED HELP ON SETTNG UP NEW 150 GALLON TANK

I have always put other New World Cichlids in with my Oscars. Jack Dempseys are a good choice. If you provide cover in your tank you can get away with smaller species sometimes. I like to keep a large piece of driftwood in the center of the tank and make caves on either side of the tank. I use slate and flagstone primarily to make the caves. You have to make them sturdy. Flimsy caves that aren't sturdy can damage or kill smaller fish if the Oscar is capable of knocking them down. Jewel cichlids are good smaller cichlids to try as long as the caves are there. I just lost one of my two Oscars. He broke his jaw ramming into the glass chasing a minnow. My husband went out and bought a juvenile managuense (jaguar cichlid). The Oscar is twice as big right now, but that managuense is going to grow massive (they can reach a foot in less than a year) so I don't recommend one of these unless you are willing to take the chance. An adult managuense can eat or bully an adult Oscar. With cover in the tank, I have also been successful with convict cichlids and five spot cichlids. I have also been successful with a hundred gallon with one full grown Oscar and several African cichlids. I kept the tank to the Oscars specifications so I don't know how happy the Africans were. Good luck!

• Theoscarlover
  • Theoscarlover's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Theoscarlover replied the topic: Re:NEED HELP ON SETTNG UP NEW 150 GALLON TANK

I have a 150 gallon tank as well!
My stocklist consists of
--2 Tiger Oscars 13" and 14"
--1 Clown Knife 16"-17"
--1 Jaguar/ manganuese, male11"-12"
--2 common plecos 14" and 18"
--1 Flowerhorn 4"
Here are some pics-

Some people told me that it would not work. I took a chance and all the fish personalities get along great. My 2 Oscars fight with each other quite a bit, they like to rough house. I like the sight of big fish personally.

All in all it comes down to the personality of the fish. I have seen Oscars that were as calm as Silver Dollars and live with just about anything, then again I have seen Oscars that would not allow tank mates at all.

You have a better chance with them being still small. You should pic fish that are close to the same size as your Oscars.
Green Terrors, Jack Dempseys, Convicts, Flowerhorns, a school of 3-4 Silver Dollars, Clown Loaches, Black Ghost Knife, Jaguar, Chocolate cichlid, the list is pretty endless. Just stay away from African Cichlids.
If you go with smaller cichlids than the Oscars then make sure you have good hiding spots like terra cotta flower pots, driftwood, or some makeshift cave.

I hope this helps!
B)

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Re:NEED HELP ON SETTNG UP NEW 150 GALLON TANK

That is one huge knife fish. Very nice looking fish. How quickly do your nitrates rise?

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds